Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ceed SW Estate 3 Automatic

At about 40,000 miles a problem suddenly occured with the automatic gearbox. It was as if the drive would not disengage causing a stall

Apparently the flywheel was the problem & it was replaced under warranty

At about 45,000 miles, after a long journey there was a loud knocking noise coming from the engine followed by a complete loss of power

Apparently the new flywheel had broken up & was again replaced under warranty

The car had been going fine until the other evening when the familiar knocking sound returned. I'm certain it's the flywheel again!

Has anyone else had similar problems or have I just been unlucky? :(

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
I haven't heard a similar story in this forum if I recall well.
Definitely not a "known issue"/weak point.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Traditional auto's like the original Ceed do not have flywheels so whoever told you it had failed is having a big laugh.

But if they keep replacing a part that cures the problem (temporarily) for free why complain (even if the part is not fitted to the car).

In all honesty I would find another dealer who does not tell you a load of bull.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies

My car is back at the dealers now getting the fault sorted again (under warranty)

In fairness they previously described the part that had failed as "The part between the engine & the automatic gearbox" A mate of mine had said they probably meant the flywheel

They weren't very specific about the part that had gone but said it was very unusual for it to break up especially the 2nd time (Though this is the 3rd time now!)

It's very odd. The car had been running very well on each occasion when suddenly there is a loud knocking noise which is far louder on decelaration than accelaration, followed by a complete loss of engine power

It seems odd that a standard part should suddenly start failing 3x within 10,000 miles, something that doesn't appear very common reading through this forum

It makes me wonder if the part is being installed correctly?

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
The installation question might be the right question to ask. It is indeed very unusual - or they might be replacing the wrong things...

·
Registered
246 Posts
A torque converter, the part that fits between the engine and gearbox on a traditional automatic (like the original Ceed) is normally 100% reliable for galactic mileages. For 3 to fail within a short period there has got to be something else causing repeat problems.

At this point I would expect Kia to be sending one of their Techies to the garage to see what they are doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts