Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi anybody got this fault that when you take your foot of the accelerator the revs stay above 1000rpm and the car wa nts to pick up speed some times catches you out. Asked the dealer A Clark they said THEY ALL DO IT I said it doesn't say that when u buy it. His reply. You just have to learn 2drive different

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Hi anybody got this fault that when you take your foot of the accelerator the revs stay above 1000rpm and the car wants to pick up speed some times catches you out.
It's not a fault. It can be disconcerting in second gear because it holds the car at 10mph. Release the clutch or drop to first (5mph). Don't force the revs down by braking against it.

·
Registered
Ceed '3' 1.6 CRDI 114bhp 2012reg
114 Posts
It's not a fault. It can be disconcerting in second gear because it holds the car at 10mph. Release the clutch or drop to first (5mph). Don't force the revs down by braking against it.
Brings back memories of a 3.5litre Rover SD1 Automatic, driving through Leeds at around 30mph and the throttle cable stuck inside the engine (the cable was not trimmed off at the carb end at the linkage properly and the extended end jammed on the carb housing). Well the fun was about to start. The automatic wanted to keep me at this throttle opening but I was aware I was getting faster so I began braking. Ok...no because auto then drops a gear for more torque thinking I am asking for more power because remember the cable is still stuck. Reached for handbrake, car dropped another gear, more torqe given to keep my preset jammed position. Fortunately, mother in law was reaching across doing steering, I had two hands on handbrake pulling past the limits. We eventually mounted curb and engine stalled. Looked in rear mirror, could only see clouds of black smoke behind and a torrent of oil passing by down the street gutter. Fortunately/unfortunately we had stopped next to a policewoman who went into a butchers shop next to car to get bags of sawdust to spread down the road. There must have been several oil relief valves that had blown I reckon. Never trusted an automatic car since especially with so much power.

·
Registered
Kia Carens 3 YM14
20 Posts
Is the DPF regenerating?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Too much torque is never enough? Seems that you don't need it so much at idling speed.

Looks like an auto transmission would be the best choice for this type of engine. I have a friend who has a Mazda diesel with 6-speed manual transmission; gets RSI from continually swapping cogs to keep the engine rattling along. BTW, I think it's suspicious that the spelling is DIESEL, although it does help you to remember the spelling.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
If it's any consolation, my ancient 2.0 DTi Astra does the same thing.

It's not a fault, as explained by Ace et al above, it's just your car having enough grunt to accelerate on tick over.
As brixmis suggests, it could be regenerating the diesel filter (dpf) which will occasionally but not every time make the rev's sit above 1000rpm for a while.

You'll get used to this 'feature' and it'll soon be in your personal auto pilot, so don't panic :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Our Golf TDi did it, our Mondeo TDCi did it, our Focus TDCi did it, our BMW 118D did it and our Ceed CRDi does it. Bit annoying at first but you soon get used to it. Never notice it now.

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 2 1.6 CRDi (113)
182 Posts
It's because it's a diesel, it's virtually impossible to stall one, you will get used to it. Just dip the clutch before it gets to 1,000 RPM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts