Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Recently, my Cee'd diesel has been a bit difficult to start in the morning, ranging from starting first time but with a few seconds of chugging (with some whitish smoke) before starting to run smoother when a light touch to the accelerator is applied, to failing to start before the 5th or 6th time of trying (followed by the chugging).

I've previously had the well documented white smoke/surging problem which has been almost completely overcome by using Millers additive with "normal" diesel or Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate when I get the chance/am feeling flush enough.

I originally put it down to the sub zero temperatures (-13 here last week), but now it's warmed up to around freezing and still doing it.

Any ideas on the cause? Is it just the diesel waxing or could it be something like glowplugs on their way out? The car is due it's 3rd year service in about 6 weeks and has covered just over 24k. I did have to top the oil up a few months ago but couldn't find any Shell Helix, so went for Castrol Magnatec with the same spec.

Thanks

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Modern diesels don't rely on glow plugs to start as much old technology diesels did before direct injection and common rail technology. At -13 they probably did have an effect but at temps down to jsut below freezing they have little if any effect. And once the engine has stated they will have no effect on the running at all.

I would get your fuel filter checked. It should be replaced every 2 years.

With regards to oil if your car has a dpf it should be filled with C3 5w/30 fully syntheti oil only. Pretty sure that Castrol do not do a C3 Magnatec plus even though it says on the bottle Magnated is Fully Synthetic if you read carefull it actually says "synthetic technolgy, very different. Thus you probably topped up with the wrong stuff if you do have a dpf.

DPF's are very critical of the correct oil being used in the engine, the ash formed using the wrong oil will eventually block them but after only a top up it would be a surprise if it did make a difference. Don't tell the Kia dealer what you did, it would be the end of your dpf warranty.

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
White smoke is unburnt fuel and I agree with Spencernj, check each glow plug
SWCeed, modern DI diesel engine with common rail do require glow plugs for they have lowered the compression ratio to take away the noise thats why there is a glow plug in each cylinder and not just one in the induction manifold

Pull the lead off each glow plug and put a meter on it, no reading duff plug.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
White smoke is unburnt fuel and I agree with Spencernj, check each glow plug
SWCeed, modern DI diesel engine with common rail do require glow plugs for they have lowered the compression ratio to take away the noise thats why there is a glow plug in each cylinder and not just one in the induction manifold

My thoughts exactly. I notice with.mine when its cold (say 5c) that if I deliberately turn the key instantly it struggles to start and eventually splutters into life. If I give it a few seconds to let the glowplug light go out it starts instantly. On a previous family car (also a CRDi) we started to have similar starting problems and I found 3 duff glowplugs.

However philgee aren't you still under warranty, in which case let the dealer sort it.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
pro_ceed 1.6 CRDi 66kw (2008)
725 Posts
Can you explain this a bit better ? If you pull the lead off it and measure voltage on the cable, you've removed the glow plug from the circuit - what would the measurement show ?

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
You need to have your meter in resistance mode and test the glow plug between the plug connector and ground/earth. If the plug show no or low resistance its fine if its shows open circuit then its faulty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Correct. Spencernj, Another way of doing it is a touch battery and bulb and three pieces of wire. One wire from engine block to a battery terminal or spade, a wire from the other terminal of the battery to the bulb, another wire from the bulb to the glow plug terminal after you have removed the main wiring harness from the glow plug. If the bulb lights up its a good one, if the bulb does not light up its a duff one and requires replacing

I agree check warranty first

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies guys - my car is a 2010MY 1.6 eco-dynamics, registered March 2010 so I believe I don't have a dpf to worry about.

Symptoms are the same as when you forget to wait for the glowplug light to extinguish. Once the car is running (after a few seconds), it is fine and dandy, no surging or anything else untoward.

Am going to book it in for it's service tomorrow, so will mention it when I book it in. Still have 4 years of warranty to enjoy as well :)

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, that was a bit of a palava - took the car in 3 weeks ago for service and MOT and they didn't manage to find or diagnose the fault at the time.
It went back in earlier this week and after 3 days of testing and sending the data to Kia, Kia have now said to replace the glowplugs! Apparently all 4 were not performing as they should.
Only thing is they don't have the right plugs in stock, and they won't be coming in until Monday, so I will get the car back Monday or Tuesday (they want to do a cold start with the new plugs fitted before they let me have it back, which is fair enough).
Hopefully that will solve the problem, and to be fair the garage have been very good (not finding the cause during the service aside) and have given me a loan car without any charge unlike some other local dealers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Glow Plugs

I hope when the glow plugs come they fit them and push the car outside all night as we have been forcast snow and cold weather.

Good Luck

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope when the glow plugs come they fit them and push the car outside all night as we have been forcast snow and cold weather.

Good Luck
That's the plan apparently - push it in the workshop after being outside all weekend, fit the plugs and then start it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Glow Plugs

No, the other way round
Fit the new glow plugs, run it, push outside and next morning when its freezing see if it will start, if it does , job done

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, the other way round
Fit the new glow plugs, run it, push outside and next morning when its freezing see if it will start, if it does , job done
They ended up doing both in the end for good measure, so ended up in the loan car for a whole week :rolleyes:

Car is working and starting fine now. Plus they valeted it for me again :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts