Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KIA brochure is very misleading describes the new DCT box as auto but it is not fully automatic. Just received this email from KIA Customer Services. We are sorry to hear that you don't like the automatic gearbox that we've put in the new Cee'd. The reason why the car may feel under-powered while going up a hill is because the car will try to stay in the most economical gear. This means that when going up a hill you may need to change down manually to get the desired power that you want. I'm sorry that this aspect of the car has disappointed you. Thank you for your feedback. KIA Customer Service.

When I took this car out on a test drive the first time it was only on flat roads and it seemed OK, I have owned 30 automatic cars. Fortunately I went for a second test drive and encountered a fairly steep hill, I pressed down on the accelerator as normal and all that happened was that the engine over revved or over raced, the Dealer told me to change down manually. This is not acceptable and never happens with a fully automatic box. Kia need to explain this feature properly in their brochure. The box appears to be semi-auto pre-selector this is NOT FULLY AUTOMATIC as the brochure states calling the box Auto. Not good enough I nearly bought the wrong car. My New CEED 2 I.6 Diesel has a excellent fully automatic 6 speed box.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
KIA brochure is very misleading describes the new DCT box as auto but it is not fully automatic. Just received this email from KIA Customer Services. We are sorry to hear that you don't like the automatic gearbox that we've put in the new Cee'd. The reason why the car may feel under-powered while going up a hill is because the car will try to stay in the most economical gear. This means that when going up a hill you may need to change down manually to get the desired power that you want. I'm sorry that this aspect of the car has disappointed you. Thank you for your feedback. KIA Customer Service.

When I took this car out on a test drive the first time it was only on flat roads and it seemed OK, I have owned 30 automatic cars. Fortunately I went for a second test drive and encountered a fairly steep hill, I pressed down on the accelerator as normal and all that happened was that the engine over revved or over raced, the Dealer told me to change down manually. This is not acceptable and never happens with a fully automatic box. Kia need to explain this feature properly in their brochure. The box appears to be semi-auto pre-selector this is NOT FULLY AUTOMATIC as the brochure states calling the box Auto. Not good enough I nearly bought the wrong car. My New CEED 2 I.6 Diesel has a excellent fully automatic 6 speed box.
Have we not heard this all before somewhere.

Or am I dreaming.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Why does he keep repeating the same old stuff.

He claims to own a Ceed but considering how unhappy he was before even buying one you do wonder why.

Don't panic though, only another 1 year and 10 months before he takes delivery of a new motor and leaves us alone.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am only stating facts that might prevent someone from buying the wrong car due to Kia's misleading brochure. No sales men I encountered know what a DCT box does all they can say it is dual clutch. I have not posted this issue on this Forum before only on the Kia Owners Club Forum .

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
Hi Disbeliever, DCT is Duel Clutch Transmission and has been used on racing for some time. It is one clutch feeds 3 gears and another clutch feeds another 3 gears. The idea is that both set of gears can be engaged at the same time and the change over is only the two clutches. the selection of the gears is done by a computor and it makes it ideal to make very fast changes with paddle controls but of course a computor can control the clutches and make it a auto box

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Disbeliever, DCT is Duel Clutch Transmission and has been used on racing for some time. It is one clutch feeds 3 gears and another clutch feeds another 3 gears. The idea is that both set of gears can be engaged at the same time and the change over is only the two clutches. the selection of the gears is done by a computor and it makes it ideal to make very fast changes with paddle controls but of course a computor can control the clutches and make it a auto box

I was nearly misled into believing a DCT box is fully automatic when quite clearly it is not. It is a semi-auto preselector. I intensely dislike the paddle arrangement, I did not buy or want a racing car, totally unecessary on the Ceed 2 as you can change gear by knocking the lever to the left and then backwards, so simple the paddles are a nusiance knocking ones knuckles when steering.ugh.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
If it's any consolation, Vauxhall's DSG box is utter pants too. Last week I returned a 61 plate Astra 1.6 petrol hire car as I hated the auto box.

It took forever to change gear and 'revved like hell but went nowhere' when I put my foot down. Even struggled to over take a cyclist up hill as it refused to select a useful gear, most embarrassing. Am now driving a manual Seat Altea Diesel and happy as Larry.

·
Registered
103 Posts
sorry to disapoint you Disbeliever but we have been useing a simular system for years on HGV, they have manual gear box with a gear change by computor, when purchasing you asked do you want a gear lever or not, ( not being a computor.
The programme on TV where a lot of vehicles are runing around GB have this computor operated gear box
Another one is a Citroen C3 which is a very slow change.

Disbeliever, put the gear lever in "D" and sit back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
gear boxes

Disbeliever, The auto box in your is German and is manufactured by a company called ZF, I do know partly what it stands but can't say it.

I dont know yet who makes the DCT box for Kia and others

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ceed 3 and SWCeed, Leave Disbeliever alone he is only learning, I started learning in the 50's and have never stopped by going to differant companies and research centers

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
Ceed 3 and SWCeed, Leave Disbeliever alone he is only learning, I started learning in the 50's and have never stopped by going to differant companies and research centers
Disbeliver is a pathalogical moaner and had been warned for hijacking posts several times. He has also been warned about racist comments and has been banned form the other Kia forum for his racist comments.

Nice guy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok settle down now, I have bitterly complaining about my fuel consumption on my ceed 1.6 crdi auto to the forum, the agent and kia customer services, The customer services are not technicians and you cannot get into Weybridge and the agent knows as much about cars as I do.

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Disbeliver is a pathalogical moaner and had been warned for hijacking posts several times. He has also been warned about racist comments and has been banned form the other Kia forum for his racist comments.

Nice guy.
Do you not fear you are beginning to behave in a pathological way over disbeliever, SWceed? We are all members of a very ordinary forum with a freedom to take aboard others postings as we find them. To get our knickers into a twist over someone who does not necessarily post what we want to hear is so tragic. If you see a posting by Disbeliever surely you are not in any way obliged to read it? It may help your blood pressure no end if you so do.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
John

Its not just me who finds most of Disbelievers posts repetative, pointless and before he was warned about it racist, just read the threads he has been involved with.

The fact he has been warned about hijacking threads on (I think) 2 occations by the moderators show that they are aware of his habits as well.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
John

Its not just me who finds most of Disbelievers posts repetative, pointless and before he was warned about it racist, just read the threads he has been involved with.

The fact he has been warned about hijacking threads on (I think) 2 occations by the moderators show that they are aware of his habits as well.
Yes, but why don't the moderators do their job and us all a favour and kick him off :confused:

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
As far as I can see Disbeliever started this thread and there is nothing to complain about in him doing that - he is stating his opinion in a thread that everyone is free to comment on or ignore. It is not off topic, not hijacked so we should not be commenting on him at all as those who are using this thread to comment on Disbeliever are the ones actually hijacking a thread about DCTs gearboxes.

In relation to the original comment it depends on what you mean by "auto" while you may feel that a DCT box is not automatic is does some things automatically that you would no manually so I feel that Kia (and every other manufacturer) are correct in calling them "autos" . I could comment that CVT's are also called automatic gearboxes when in fact they are not gearboxes. However, personally would not touch one I prefer a manual in a smaller engined car.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have found CVT boxes which are fully automatic to be excellent on Honda Jazz and on two Dodge Calibers. In a PM to me a well known National Newspaper Motoring Journalist describes the Kia DCT box as semi-auto with pre-selector. My experience with a Kia Ceed 3 with DCT is that it is misleading to describe it as auto because I had to change down manually before going up a hill. Kia say the DCT box trys to stay in its most economical gear therefore there will be insufficient power when trying to ascend a hill without manually changing down .. IMO it is completely wrong to describe the Kia DCT box as an auto. I have owned 30 automatics from 3 speed Borg-Warner to 6 speed latest auto Box on the Ceed 2 which seems to be the same as on my previous Chev Cruze never had to change down when going up a hill. Kia DCT box is not a fully automatic box and should be described as partly auto and properly explained.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts