Kia Forum banner

Ceed 3 CRDI Clutch PROBLEM (5000MILES+)

27K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  simon pinto 
#1 · (Edited)
Problem started at 5,000miles on a one year old car from factory. It is an intermittent noise when I pull away and at the biting point when lifting the clutch pedal. I ignored it for a while thinking it was a teething fault but now at 6,000miles it has become more noticeable. The noise lasts for a very fraction of a second and is not very loud, can't say it is a squeal as such as it is so quick. Took it to my main dealer and to my surprise the noise showed up after he finished a test run. He says the fault is more common in Kia petrol cars and would not be commited to fixing it under warranty. Anyway, it's booked in and they are going to look at it. Surely, this is not fair wear and tare and I hope to fight my corner if needs be. Anyone else heard of clutch problems on a Ceed (pre 2013 model)

#5 ·
I have this problem too but mines done nearly 50,000 miles. A colleague who reported this when his sw2 went in for the last service at 2 years (less than 30000 miles) was told there's a recall on the petrol model but not on the diesel.
Wondered why this should be.
Will try to get mine to the dealer this week and see what they say.

Chris

#6 ·
Clutch

Yes, I was told by a mechanic at main dealer that this problem was known on petrol cars and not diesel version. Maybe clutch is different on petrol and deiesel versions, can't see why unless torque issues come into play and the diesel would need a stronger clutch maybe. Would be interested in feedback on this one as I am sure there are very knowledgable people here :)

#8 ·
Took it in to Lookers in Stockport, the words chocolate and teapot come to mind. "yes there is a noise, we don't know what it is, we will need it for two days, chances are it will be the clutch which is not covered by warranty".
After I had scraped bossman off the ceiling, I think an e-mail to customer services is in order.

Chris

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I too have a problem after only 5000 miles and they are telling me it is fair wear and tear I intend fighting it

I have a kia cee'd 2011 and have trouble with the clutch my car has only done between 5 and 6 thousand and I have been told I have to pay for a new clutch as it is fair wear and tear. I intend to fight this as I asked them to check my car last December as I kept smelling burning and I was told there was nothing wrong. I wonder how many more people are being conned with this supposed 7 year warranty.

#10 ·
Sue Craig

I have had my kia Rio since August 2014 six weeks ago I started smelling funny smells in the car like burning until Monday morning going to work 23 January 2015 I could not get my car into gear without a struggle the engine was revving and was smoking and just about got it parked l was terrified, got into work and rang my son who came down and looked at my car said he thought it was the clutch .I thought that was impossible as I have been driving for many years I have never had to have the clutch changed in anyone of my cars. We eventually got the car to the dealer where I bought it and they said they thought it was clutch " They would have to take the gearbox out " can thay have my permission to be able to reach the clutch.catch-22 situation I had to give in my permission or I would have no car.they rang my son the next day and left a message on his phone to say that the clutch was burned out I have done exactly 3000 miles .I part exchanged my polo with lookers that I had had for four years and not had a new clutch Or any of the problems with that car has anybody had any problems like this with the Kia Rio please help thank you

#11 ·
Kia Rio clutch failed after 4,187 miles

My wife bought a Kia Rio less than a year ago and after 4,187 miles the clutch has failed. The clutch had started to slip a month ago and I took it back to the garage she bought it from when the engagement was very near the end of pedal travel. The garage is refusing to repair it under warranty!!
They seem to suggest this is wear and tear or poor driving. My wife has over 40 years experience without any problems so they are going to have a fight on their hands over who pays.

#13 ·
Clutch release noise

I have had a clutch (release ) noise now for nineteen months, steadily getting worse. When I first reported it, the garage said I would have to give authority for it to be stripped for examination. They wanted £700!! and if the clutch was found to be the problem I would have to pay for the replacement. Being an engineer myself, I said I felt that the problem was the release bearing not the pressure or clutch plate. The garage did not want to make that assumption before stripping the gearbox and bell housing.
Now nineteen months on and 22k miles later, the clutch plates still work fine with no slipping whatsoever, but the noise worsening.
I have written again to Kia for their thoughts. I have had two other independent mechanics look at this issue and they both have come to the same diagnosis as me. The irony is that the thrust bearing is under warranty but the plates are not!! My worry is that if the bearing fails completely, then debris could foul the clutch assembly and casues a major problem?

#14 ·
2011 Pro-ceed eco dynamic.
I have had what I would discribe as a double delayed clunk when changing gear, I have now developed an intermtant scretching when the clutch bits, last happened when boarding a cross channel ferry the ramp upto the car deck is steep, did no appear to be any clutch slip, so perhaps as you say it is the release bearing.
All said reseach shows that Kia have change numerous clutch assemblies and its said its a known problem, having raised this problem everytime the vehicle has visited the dealership I'm still waiting for a major problem.

#17 ·
That should read "There are 3 of them....." I corrected the post. The three I'm referring to are posts 9, 10, and 11......This thread was 6 months dead prior to those three.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.