Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a 2 year old SR7 4 months ago and having used it for a mixture of town and motorway driving I am only getting 31MPG out of it. I keep the tyres inflated to the correct level and the car is generally clutter free.
Can anyone advise of what I should be expecting from this as it seems very low?

THanks

·
Registered
Kia Pro Ceed
34 Posts
im getting about 34MPG out of my VR7 mainly town with some motorway

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
I have a 60 plate, pro_ceed "Strike" with the same 1.4L 89HP petrol engine.

If I boot it a lot I get about 380 miles from 'brimmed' to '---' remaining, avg 38mpg.
Driving very gently usually gives 450-460 per tank as above, avg 42mpg.

My commute is 60 miles a day, mostly country lanes with about 6 miles dual carriage way.

What tyres are you running? If the standard Michelin Energy Savers all round, they seem to like running 35psi rather than the normal 32. Mine handles better at 35 all round, and does drop 1-2mpg on average if they're low pressure.

I know other tyres, especially cheap ones can be far less efficient.

Hope that helps mate.
Jay.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
09 1.4 Pro with the 109hp engine

Average 41.24
Best 44.25
Worst 30.14 (3hr very fast motorway drive)

Thats over 18 fill ups and 6763 miles since Jan 12 (Got the fuel log App on my phone!)

I do a 25 mile commute, mostly back roads with 5 miles of dual carriageway.

Town driving will really kick the arse out of fuel consumption, especially if its short journeys as the engine never really get up to temp.

Im not a slow driver but i dont rev the engine to the redline in every gear either. I usually change up at around 3-4k

Im quite happy with my MPG, especially when you see what some of the 1.6 diesel boys are getting!

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
I find on my VR-7 (1.4) I get around 38mpg on motorways with the clog down. However on country "A" roads if I'm prepared to drive at about 50mph the fuel consumption drops to about 50mpg. I guess that's the price we pay (or save) for our speed! I must admit that with current fuel prices I'm slowing down a bit, perhaps this is for me more effect than speed cameras :lol:

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
Average 41.24

Im quite happy with my MPG, especially when you see what some of the 1.6 diesel boys are getting!
That's a pretty decent figure when you take into account that diesel has 10% more energy in volume terms; comparatively speaking your figure goes up to 46mpg. So the difference in thermal efficiency seems to narrowing significantly.

(Even though getting good economy figures becomes a game to while away boring journeys, my main reason for buying the diesel lay elsewhere. Amazing how motorways no longer seem to have inclines and headwinds.)

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
09 1.4 Pro with the 109hp engine

Average 41.24
Best 44.25
Worst 30.14 (3hr very fast motorway drive)

Thats over 18 fill ups and 6763 miles since Jan 12 (Got the fuel log App on my phone!)

I do a 25 mile commute, mostly back roads with 5 miles of dual carriageway.

Town driving will really kick the arse out of fuel consumption, especially if its short journeys as the engine never really get up to temp.

Im not a slow driver but i dont rev the engine to the redline in every gear either. I usually change up at around 3-4k

Hello Ayjay, intrigued with your mention of your phone fuel log application as I can’t seem to remember to write all my fuel buys down. Can you explain further, it may then work for this old lad and I can get a fuel consumption from my Kia?
Johnfranklyn.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
Hello Ayjay, intrigued with your mention of your phone fuel log application as I can’t seem to remember to write all my fuel buys down. Can you explain further, it may then work for this old lad and I can get a fuel consumption from my Kia?
Johnfranklyn.
Its an app called Fuel log, its for an Android phone. (Not sure if its available for Iphone)
You put in your mileage, fuel uplift and price every fill up and it gives you MPG, cost per fill up, cost per day, week,month,year etc. Total mileage, fuel uplifted, number of fill ups etc The free version keeps the last 5 entries and the full version (£1.50!) keeps them all.

In reality its just a fancy maths programme in a shiny suit! Buts its so much easier than working it all out yourself!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thanks for the Fuel Log tip, I've been running a crappy app called "fuel log" since January, but it couldn't tell me average or anything useful, just logged my fuel input & mileage.

Have now installed "Fuel Log Car Management" from Android Market, manually transferred all my fuel logs across, and am sad to report my average is far worse than I thought (over the last 10 fill ups anyway - will purchase the pro key when paid);

Average 37.85mpg
Best 43.62
Worst 31.66 !! :(

worth noting that it stores all the entries, but only gives graphs & stats for the last 10 fill ups.

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
worth noting that it stores all the entries, but only gives graphs & stats for the last 10 fill ups.
Is that for the free version? I bit the bullet and coughed up a couple of quid for the full version and all my stats are displayed right back to Jan.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yup, only on freebie version so far, will happily pay the <£2 for this handy little app though.

To be fair, I've been booting it quite a lot lately, which will affect my 'last 10 fill ups' consumption stats. Am hoping they'll improve once it counts all of 2012, otherwise I might have to go diesel next time :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts