Kia Forum banner

Cd Player

4K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  seacam 
#1 ·
02 Sedona 2.9 Auto

Hello,

I have fitted at the moment a VDO CD 721 Radio/CD player but it doesn't allow for any aux input connection and VDO doesn't have such a unit so I'm going to replace it.

I have settled on a JVC KD-G611/2.

Once I have removed the dash facia and removed the retaining screws for the existing unit is it going to be a straight forward swap or will I need to alter/order
wiring accessories or be mindfull of anything?

I think I read in one of the posts about replacement units not fitting as they were hitting the back of the bulkhead, was that the Sedona's bulkhead.

Do I need to pull a fuse or is it OK to wire the new unit live?

Does anyone know what the handling output of the existing Kia speakers are?

I think I read somewhere 40 watts but is that handling per speaker/channel
or output of the existing CD Player?
Seacam

See less See more
#2 ·
When you ordered your new unit it should have come with half of a wiring harness. That half of the harness will plug into the back of your unit. You will need to order the other half of the harness. The part you need to order will plug into the factory harness and you will wire the two harnesses together.
About speakers.........I always think that factory speakers suck but maybe thats just me. When I replace the head unit I always replace the speakers.
Not too sure about head units fitting in the Sedona though.
Hope this helps. :)

#3 ·
I replaced my unit with a Pioneer 45 watts (per channel) and it sounds just fine to me (with the original speakers). I didn't remove the facia or retaining box at all. While it sounds a bit bodgy, I just cut two pieces of heavy card (not corrugated) and laid them at the sides of the new unit as I pushed it home. Looks great dosen't move an inch and saved messing with facias etc... No problems with the bulkhead, and I didn't remove the fuse.

I think if you remove the original radio/cassette retainer, the hole in the dash may be too big for the new units retaining box? Maybe I'm wrong?

#7 ·
Hello,Spec SX,

Thank you for your advise I can't ascertain if I need the extra bit of wiring.

The consensus appears to be that as the existing VDO player would have required a standard ISO adapter to be fitted the JVC should just plug straight in however, others say not and I need the extra bit.

I suppose I won't know until I pull the existing.

I agree with your comments on factory speakers but have to admit to being pleasantly surprised with the existing set up.
Seacam

#8 ·
It will fit straight in, no wires required, should already have a kia loom to iso adaptor fitted for the VDO.
You may need to swap the switched/permanent live feeds around, there are bullet connectors in the loom for this.
If you need a kia to iso loom let me know, I've a small collection of them.

#10 ·
By the way Murphwiz I missed your post to me about filters & IMHO
Thanks

OK so K&N is out, my car is no longer under waranty, when it comes to replacing things like filters, pads, timeing belts and so on, do you think its OK to use quality other brands or should I stick to Kia parts
Seacam

#11 ·
I personally would have no problem Seacam... Always used generic parts (where I could) on my Saabs over the years without problems. I shall be doing my own servicing, and will do just the same with my Sedona. :grin:

On another note... the original speakers sound so good on my Sedona, that I am able to hear things that I can't with my Bose Acoustimass system (mid range). That's with the engine roaring away! Only downer is that I paid £2500 for a load of crap Bose!!!! :angry:

#17 ·
Originally posted by dubana@Aug 4 2005, 07:41 AM
I personally would have no problem Seacam... Always used generic parts (where I could) on my Saabs over the years without problems. I shall be doing my own servicing, and will do just the same with my Sedona. :grin:

On another note... the original speakers sound so good on my Sedona, that I am able to hear things that I can't with my Bose Acoustimass system (mid range). That's with the engine roaring away! Only downer is that I paid £2500 for a load of crap Bose!!!! :angry:
My point excactly the speaker set up in the Sedona is fine, just the head unit I'm changing, when it arrives.
£2.500 what a bummer.

#19 ·
Hello Murphwiz,

Before I bought the Sedona I was that close to buying a Jap import direct.

A lot of these vehicles come with realy decent CD/Radio players.

As part of the model report and to get it up to UK Spec' for MOT purposes
if one wanted to keep the existing DVD/CD/Radio to be able to tune into British airwaves or other things you had to fit a modulator.

Is that the same thing Clartsonly and you are on about?

If so, knowing how Clartsonly relishes a Google search, there are a number of sites that sell them, I didn't know they were illegal however.

The site I kept in my favorites was www.m-99.co.uk.
Seacam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.