Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RECENTLY I NOTICED THAT WHEN I TURN MY VAN ON OR TURN IT OFF THAT I GET A LOUD BUZZING NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING STUCK IN A FAN BLADE. IT DID THIS AND THE RADIO QUIT WORKING???????GOT IT TO KIA TECH SAYS HE "MESSED WITH SOME STUFF" AND IT STARTED WORKING AND THEN GAVE A BLANK GRIN :unsure: IT CONTINUED TO DO THIS AND NOTICED WITH A CD IN THE DISPLAY LIGHTS FLUTTER IN/OUT AND STOP WHEN YOU TAKE CD OUT. TOOK IT BACK TO DEALER-NOW DEALER SAYS WARRANTY IS VOID BECAUSE SOMEONE WHO HAD IT DURING ITS FIRST 20K MILES PUT AFTMKT SPEAKERS IN THE REAR :angry: :blink: HOW DOES THIS AFFECT RADIO???DOES ANYONE HAVE ELECTRICAL OR AUDIO EXPERIENCE-I NEED KNOWLEDGE FOR AMMO BECAUSE THIS WRONG :gunsmilie:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Mtroxell,

Wrong it may well be but put that on hold and consider.

Clartsonly has a point, is it worth getting upset.? For $175 you can put matters right yourself.

However there is a matter of principal involved here and to **** with Kia's sensitivities and how far are you prepared to go?

Based in the UK I am not so familiar with US consumer law as I am with consumer law here but logic dictates.

Ammo is good but where you throw it is what gets results, knowledge and knowing what you're talking about are two ends of a very long stick.

When I first read your post I wasn't going to respond and for good reason, I have no audio experience and clearly you want a fast fix to your problem and I not sure there's going to be one.

Why? because ---- any sales person or tech' who states "WARRANTY IS VOID BECAUSE SOMEONE PUT AFTMKT SPEAKERS IN THE REAR" has absolutely no intention of dealing with the problem.

I assume your CD player came ready installed in your van.

What warranty are you talking about, the vehicle's or the CD player?

The Kia tech' you mentioned and the dealer are they part of the same outfit, it matters from your stand point?

The mileage of your van has nothing to do with your CD player.

Assuming the aftmkt speakers are suitable for the purpose, did the CD player's warranty have a condition that stated it had to be fitted to the vehicle's original speakers and the dealer will not entertain a repair under the warranty for that reason?

Ask him to show you where it's written in the warranty or CD manual, so make sure you have it with you, read it first, that's your first piece of ammo.

Do I understand your post correctly are you saying the dealer is stating your rear speakers have damaged the CD player.

My response to that statement would be to ask just how in **** he could possibly know that.

When you say "HE MESSED WITH SOME STUFF" what does that mean?

After "messing" did your CD player work fine if only for a short time?

Has the buzzing noise stopped and were you hearing this noise through the speakers or what?
Seacam

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi,

I'm not sure if this will help you or not (but thought it worth a share anyway).

I recently installed a 'magic mirror' in/onto my 2005 Sedona and whilst routing cabling, namely behind the plastic panel that runs from the roof panel towards the dash facia (sited on the left of the front windscreen) moved some cabling that interferred with the connection/sound to the cd/radio player. After some fiddling, I established a loose wire connection which I put right and 'touch wood' appear to have solved the cd/radio cut out.

I'm no expert and I'm not saying that this will solve your problem but it may be worth a look.

I did have to carefully remove the cd/radio player and facia also to make this problem good.

Fiona

:) smiles across the miles :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi there Seacam,

It's a reversing aid ... 4 sensors in the rear bumper linked to a s/box and mirror with lcd display which fits over the existing rear view mirror. Cost me £60 and took me 2hrs to fit (and most of that time was marking the circles in a straight line on the bumper!)

Fiona

·
Registered
71 Posts
Clartsonly,

LoL ...... cheeky *** !

Would save me a fortune on elastic bands though :blush:

Fiona

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I CANT BELIEVE I'M THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. MY PLAN IS TO TAKE IT TO KIA FRIDAY AND HAVE THEM UNHOOK MY REAR SPEAKERS AND SEE IF THE PROBLEM STILL OCCURS. KIA REP YESTERDAY SAID WELL IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH YOUR KIA SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONSIDER YOUR OPTIONS?! WAIT UNTIL I GET A HOLD OF SOMEONE WITH SOME RANK.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Fiona,

Thanks for that, now I know.
Clartsonly reply made me smile, I thought it that case I'll have me 2doz.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Stereo's require speakers with a certain ohm rating - typically 4-8 ohms - using speakers outside the range required by the head unit will fry the head unit - is this the problem ?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Tonyd,

Interesting I didn't know that, what's better 4 or 8 or does it matter?

The three points I was trying to get across to Mtroxell was,

How do they, ( Kia ), know it's his speakers that are causing the problem?

Surely they can't claim he invalidated his warranty after they tried fixing the problem first.

According to Mtroxell after they "messed with some stuff" they got it working
which kind of tells me it may not be his speakers.
Seacam

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello,

Interesting I didn't know that, what's better 4 or 8 or does it matter?

The three points I was trying to get across to Mtroxell was,

How do they, ( Kia ), know it's his speakers that are causing the problem?

Surely they can't claim he invalidated his warranty after they tried fixing the problem first.

According to Mtroxell after they "messed with some stuff" they got it working
which kind of tells me it may not be his speakers.
Seacam

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi seacam, I don't know which is best, I found this out the hard way by connecting an amplifier that required 8 ohm speakers to a set of 4 ohm ones. I think most speakers are 4 ohm but I am no expert. Incedentally the damage to the amplifier did result in a loud buzzing noise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:beer:
WELL CHEERS TO ME. I BROUGHT MY VAN TO MY DEALER AND STATED DISCONNECT MY SPEAKERS IF IT FIXES THE PROBLEM GOOD I WILL PAY FOR IT,, BUT IF IT DOESN'T I WONT. THEY CALLED TO ARGUE THAT THE ONLY WAY TO GET TO THE SPEAKERS IS TO TAKE THE WHOLE BACK PANEL OFF....SO I QUESTIONED WHY THEY DID ALL THAT TO FIND OUT I HAD AFTMKT SPEAKERS IN THE FIRST PLACE. THEY DIDN'T MY ADVISOR TOLD ME THE TECH PEERED IN THROUGH THE GRILL TOP????? MAYBE THIS IS HOW IT GOT BROKE? ANYWAYS I ARGUED MY BUTT OFF THAT THERE WAS NO WAY THOSE SPEAKERS(WHICH I DON'T EVEN BELIEVE ARE AFTMKT) ARE CAUSING THE PROBLEM. i GOT A PHONE CALL SAYING THEY ARE ORDERING ME A NEW UNIT!!! IT IS SO ODD I HAVE TO GO THRU ALL THIS TO GET WHAT I DESERVE. THEY DID THE SAME THING WHEN I TOLD THEM THE A/C WAS NOT COLD ENOUGH-IT TOOK THREE TRIPS AND THEN THEY FINALLY CHECKED THE FREON LEVEL AND TOLD ME IT WAS 1 1/2 LBS LOW.
IS IT JUST MY DEALER OR IS THIS NATIONWIDE?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts