Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2004 Kia Sorento EX MY05 a week ago and really pleased with it. :) However, all of a sudden, it will not play our CDs. :( Just displays 'ERR' and won't play them. Have tried a whole range of CDs (copies and originals) but doesn't like any of them! The radio is still working (thank goodness as can't stand no music in the car).

Has this happened to anyone else and, if so, did you find a solution? PS: Tried running a CD laser cleaning disc through but it just seemed to get stuck after a period of time and so finally had to eject it, therefore, problem still unsolved.

Hubby phoned a KIA dealer who said it would be costly to have it in for diagnosis and that it would be expensive and time-consuming to order parts if something needed replacing. He suggested purchasing a new stereo altogether and having it fitted in the original one's place. Having exhausted all our budget on the car itself, this is not an option for us at present, so just hoping someone out there might have some more positive advice?! :confused:

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,861 Posts
Welcome to the KIA forums. One thing you might like to try is to remove the negative battery cable from the battery for a couple of minutes and then reconnect , it may just happen to reset the CD player. Just make sure you know your code to put into the radio when the battery is reconnected otherwise you will be locked out of the radio by the security system. :cool:

·
Registered
Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the KIA forums. One thing you might like to try is to remove the negative battery cable from the battery for a couple of minutes and then reconnect , it may just happen to reset the CD player. Just make sure you know your code to put into the radio when the battery is reconnected otherwise you will be locked out of the radio by the security system. :cool:
Thank you. Will try and find out the code and give it a go!

·
Registered
2006 Sportage
408 Posts
If the negative battery cable idea doesn't work, try to remove the radio and actually unplug the connector at the back. I have had a few radios act up, i tried the cable idea on it and no luck, removed the connector and it reset, but one other one i had, the battery cable disconnect worked. FYI

·
Registered
Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have just had a look through the owner's manual and the only code mentioned is a key code? Would this also be the code for the stereo? Thanks.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the negative battery cable idea doesn't work, try to remove the radio and actually unplug the connector at the back. I have had a few radios act up, i tried the cable idea on it and no luck, removed the connector and it reset, but one other one i had, the battery cable disconnect worked. FYI
Thanks for that. Gives us another option if the battery cable disconnection doesn't work. Appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento Lx 4x4 5spd.auto 99 Chrysler 300m 95 Ford Bronco
11 Posts
oops...After reading some post on here about transmissions not downshifting, I just disconnected/reconnected my battery last night for 10 minutes. Was worried that I might have to reprogram my presets but to my surprise they remained intact and the radio works fine :confused: ...however the clock didn't, no biggie there. Didnt even think about the security system,(stoopid newbie!) hopefully no issues will arise. Btw transmission seems to be behaving somewhat better(much thanks to this forum) and hopefully will correct itself in the next 250 miles.

·
Registered
2006 Sportage
408 Posts
disconnecting the battery will not harm anything. In all the KIA's I have worked on, the only ones that need a radio code is the early sportage. No other radio needs a security code. Well, maybe the new Sorento and Borrego and Amanti, but I have yet to have one out.

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,861 Posts
The Cerato/ Spectra need the four number code to work after the battery is disconnected, that is why I mentioned it just incase Sorentos are the same. It looks like the radio in the 05 Sorento doesn't require a code by the report from Kiacruz but could another 05 Sorento owner please let the forum know whether their radio requires security code after disconnecting battery, I would hate to have someone lock themself out of the radio if it does need one..

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento Lx 4x4 5spd.auto 99 Chrysler 300m 95 Ford Bronco
11 Posts
The Cerato/ Spectra need the four number code to work after the battery is disconnected, that is why I mentioned it just incase Sorentos are the same. It looks like the radio in the 05 Sorento doesn't require a code by the report from Kiacruz but could another 05 Sorento owner please let the forum know whether their radio requires security code after disconnecting battery, I would hate to have someone lock themself out of the radio if it does need one..
Don't trust the newbie :lol:...no I totally understand and I just wanted to add that my stereo is the base am/fm, cd, cassette model. Certainly a good chance that the premium systems do require a security code. Curious to know as well as I may be upgrading to one soon.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento LX 4x4 5sp/MT, 2007 Pontiac G5 2.2L Auto, 2006 Kawasaki 500LTD, 1988 Chevy Celeb.
10 Posts
Mine is a 05 with a am/fm, cd, cassette model and I have unplugged my battery a lot with no problems with the radio, cd, or cassette and I have wakened up to find my battery dead because of the TCM being bad which was replaced under warranty and still had no problems with the radio. And at all these times it did not require a code.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts