Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a caution.
When closing the engine compartment be very careful not to apply focused pressure on the hood lip.
I noticed to my horror that my hoot had developed, palm /thumb pressure creases due to pushing the hood to lock.
I'm not sure if this happened during a service or by my own doing although I've never applied excessive pressure.

Personally I don't think this is acceptable when applying normal pressure, the area should be reinforced.

Lucky I have some suction tools, and pulled the worse out.
However its still noticeable if you look carefully.

However before I go guns blazing, go out in some good light, look at the area just above the chrome from different angles , anyone else notice this?
You might only notice this under certain lighting conditions especially bright sunny days.

For now I would highly recommend you never use your palm or hand on the lip, but rather both hands about 6 inches up from the lip on the ridges with equal pressure palm and fingers (remove rings) with enough momentum so gravity does the trick, let it drop , NEVER give an extra press if she does not lock, release and try again.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
I thought you just hold the hood till its about six inches from the catch and let the hood drop, not aware that you ever push on the hood - unless its different on the Sorento.

Haven't pushed on a hood to close it for decades, when they used to have the old massive hoods that you had no choice.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, that's an old one. a beginner's error if you like.
You are not meant to press the hood to close it. Just let it drop.
Same with the doors. Does anyone press them closed?

Some people never learn how to slam car doors. e.g. You need a little extra force to close the last door, due to air pressure. Another thing that some people never notice is the "detents" at full and half open on most door. Basics, people, basics.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that's an old one. a beginner's error if you like.
You are not meant to press the hood to close it. Just let it drop.
Same with the doors. Does anyone press them closed?

Some people never learn how to slam car doors. e.g. You need a little extra force to close the last door, due to air pressure. Another thing that some people never notice is the "detents" at full and half open on most door. Basics, people, basics.
I'll give that "let it drop thing" a try again, I don't think thats working (on mine anyway dry latch?) I've also had plenty of cars (past) where gravity won't do it (finger safety thing? I really don't know) however never had an issue.

To Kia Sorento beginner's Don't do it! ^_^

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Older cars had super-heavy hoods on the engine bay, and you lowered them gently to avoid a big bang, and maybe gave them a final push. Newer hoods are much lighter (crash zone) and they will deform if you press on them. There's usually rubber buffers that act as a bed for the hood.

conwelpic says 6 inches is the "drop zone", I would have said 8 inches.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
783 Posts
If that isn't enough, lift the hood and try again a little higher until it does close...not too hard though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a little test, you have to help it closed, it won't fall close.
This has me a little worried when its in a for a service, lets hope KIA techs use due diligence.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
783 Posts
Mention that to them. Have them show you and you show them.

When I drop my hood as described, it closes properly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mention that to them. Have them show you and you show them.

When I drop my hood as described, it closes properly.
Thanks!

BTW The owners manual says...

Page 25 of section 4

" Closing the hood... Lower the hood halfway and push
down to securely lock in place"

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
I actually push mine down with no problem with creasing at all. There are no fingermarks in the metal at all when I close it and no dents. I can't understand how the fingermarks are being caused on your hood. Not that it is not happening, just not sure how. Can you show some pictures?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts