Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Allen National 68 triple cylinder Gang Mower
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Mother's Kia Sportage awd 2011 Clutch problem.
Are there any known problems with Kia Sportage 2011 clutch master cylinder, causing excessive wear in clutch plate?

Clutch plate totally worn out/disintegrated.

Have tried to upload photo's, but too large for upload.

Has anyone else had problems with clutch not properly engaging/disengaging?

Arnold Clark, from where She bought this car say "driver error" , "Not a warrentable item"

Is it normal for a clutch to wear out in just over a year/appr 8,000 miles ?

Going to cost Her £1000 +/- to get this sorted.

Clutch pedal flat to floor, had to pull it up, minimal pressure to depress it, is it a hydraulic problem ?
If so how can I get them to listen, they have got it into their minds "Driver Error", won't listen to other possible alternative suggestions !

Any help would be appreciated!

Ronald.

HTML:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NationalMower/photos/album/1330236455/pic/list
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NationalMower/photos/album/1330236455/pic/list

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Hi Ron...
Got your pm...
Most of the KIA manual transmissions are hydraulic (and use the same fluid reservoir as the brakes) and some of the older KIAs had problems with the slave cylinder... I also read about Hyundais that had a restrictor valve disk on the slave valve inlet... Hyundai's thoughts were to slowly release the clutch even though the clutch pedal was released quickly by the driver. This caused some slipping of the pressure plate (and wear) ...BUT... made for a "nicer/smoother" release... Go figure??? The post I read was about excessive clutch wear and he removed the disk so the clutch fluid would release as fast as the clutch pedal was.
I don't know if they still have this type of slave cylinder. Hyundai and KIA share a lot of technology so it might be there. If you place the car in a position where you needed to get off the clutch fast (towing heavy loads or off road driving) this "design feature" could be detrimental.. Like I said I don't know "if" that is still within the slave cylinder.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
btw...
That does look like the owner was riding the clutch (resting their foot on the pedal) or a severe part failure not allowing the clutch to fully release.
You really never know in these cases unless you find an actual cause (like a binding slave cylinder). If you do find some failure item I'd give it back to the customer and have them contact KIA again as it would have been their "fault" and they may offer to pay a percentage of the repair.
Dave

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Isn't the clutch pedal stuck on the floor indicative of a mechanical failure? It sounds like either a hydraulic fluid loss or failed return spring. Either of these failures could have caused the excessive wear.
I don't see how excessive wear could cause the pedal to not return, unless somehow excessive wear broke the return spring?

As for the restrictor valve, we just got a new 6spd manual Sportage, and I believe it has a restrictor valve. I noticed that the clutch does not engage quickly and allows some slipping, especially in first to second gear changes.
My 2002 BMW 3 series also had this valve, called a Clutch Delay Valve or CDV. Many people remove this valve, including myself. I will also look at removing it on the Sportage.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX 1.7cc Diesel - Manual transmission
154 Posts
My Mother's Kia Sportage awd 2011 Clutch problem.
Are there any known problems with Kia Sportage 2011 clutch master cylinder, causing excessive wear in clutch plate?

Clutch plate totally worn out/disintegrated.

Have tried to upload photo's, but too large for upload.

Has anyone else had problems with clutch not properly engaging/disengaging?

Arnold Clark, from where She bought this car say "driver error" , "Not a warrentable item"

Is it normal for a clutch to wear out in just over a year/appr 8,000 miles ?

Going to cost Her £1000 +/- to get this sorted.

Clutch pedal flat to floor, had to pull it up, minimal pressure to depress it, is it a hydraulic problem ?
If so how can I get them to listen, they have got it into their minds "Driver Error", won't listen to other possible alternative suggestions !

Any help would be appreciated!

Ronald.
Some persons tend to drive with their foot on the pedal without even being aware of it. This causes the clutch trust bearing to press on the clutch plate and causes wear. If your mother drives another manual car try to riding with her and notice the way she leaves her leg about while driving. I am not saying she does but it would be useful to notice and try rectify this for future problems. Don't tell her before cause she would be conscious and will not do it. Let her drive normally. If she does not do that other matters might be present like,
Free movement of clutch plate on splines due to maybe dust, rust or a damaged shaft.
Slave cylinder does not return fully back.
Broken pressure plate.
Did you notice any clutch slipping?
8000 miles is not the normal wear of a clutch.
keep us informed.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX, 6spd manual
184 Posts
Slave cylinder does not return fully back.
Broken pressure plate.
Did you notice any clutch slipping?
8000 miles is not the normal wear of a clutch.
keep us informed.
Yes, good idea to let her take you for a drive.
A broken pressure plate (I couldn't remember the name so I called it a return spring) would certainly insufficient pressure on the clutch, causing it to slip, and causing this excessive wear.

If the problem was someone riding the clutch, then you would only have a worn out clutch, not a broken pressure plate.

ie. broken pressure plate causes worn clutch, not the other way around

·
Registered
Allen National 68 triple cylinder Gang Mower
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

DavesSpectra _ & _ Censu _ & _ engineered,

Thanks for the Comments, We are getting Her car fixed.
Going to cost Her £1,000 +/-, She has had this car for just over 1 Year.
She has complained about not liking it, almost since day 1.
Which is a shame, but 76 year old's can be a wee bit fussy, "PainInArse"!

Trading it in against an Automatic BMW, What's the bet She will find something about it to complain about!

Thanks Again,
Ronald.

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
moms

knowing the cost of replaceing a worn clutch i baby mine . very easy on it . when ive driven with my mother i cringe at the way the clutch is abused. things like not gearing down just rideing to a stop with the clutch in . my father also is to lazy to shift and will start off in 2nd or third and then lug into top gear . hate to say it but it probibly is driver error . just like brakes some make them last 100 000 klm or more some wear them out really fast

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch plate and gearbox

I have just joined the forum and was relieved to see someone else has had the problem i am having.
I too have a 2011 Sportage manual 6gear.. the car was driving perfectly until it went in for a service two weeks ago and then I noticed clutch slipping.
The garage is saying the plate is burnt through. Driver error and it will cost £3000.
I am driving 40 years and have never 'burnt out a clutch'.
I have also been told that the clutch warrenty even for manafacturing faults is only two years.
on my recommondation two friends have bought this car.
i feel betrayed and my confidence is totally undermined.

·
Registered
Sportage
1 Posts
I have just joined the forum and was relieved to see someone else has had the problem i am having.
I too have a 2011 Sportage manual 6gear.. the car was driving perfectly until it went in for a service two weeks ago and then I noticed clutch slipping.
The garage is saying the plate is burnt through. Driver error and it will cost £3000.
I am driving 40 years and have never 'burnt out a clutch'.
I have also been told that the clutch warrenty even for manafacturing faults is only two years.
on my recommondation two friends have bought this car.
i feel betrayed and my confidence is totally undermined.
Hi "Limewood33". I have a 2013 Sportage manual 6gear too and the exact same thing happened to me. It went in for its 2nd service last week and since getting it back, I've had problems with the clutch sticking. Prior to the service, it was perfectly ok. It's been booked back in for Friday (they can't get me in any sooner). I'm curious to see what they say. They better not tell me its driver error because there was nothing wrong with it before they got their hands on it!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the same issue with a 2012 Kia Sportage Clutch wesnt after being serviced.

Hi Guys,

Just going through this myself, and the garage is already coming out with the " Clutch not covered by warranty " line.

In over thirty years of driving, I have never worn out a clutch, ever, nor to be fair, has my wife.

Story so far is Car has about 60k Miles on the clock in for regular service, week later the car has suddenly has problems going into 1st and second gear and has to be nursed 30 miles home, ( admittedly hard on clutch but it was a sunday what do you do !)

Monday garage called said bring it in, bang clutch goes after a few miles with a thud, after being towed to the garage they are now saying ooh we never have problems with the clutch, cobblers, something smells here, and it's not jut a worn clutch !

This car has an easy life, no towing or off roading and the only reason we went 4x4 is because we live in a rural area, prone to flooding

I am going to fight this tooth and nail, as I know full well something else caused it.
I will refuse the car back until the whole gear box and transmission is checked, and I will have it done independently, if I have to.

Any other experiences you have, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Valley

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Hi "Limewood33". I have a 2013 Sportage manual 6gear too and the exact same thing happened to me. It went in for its 2nd service last week and since getting it back, I've had problems with the clutch sticking. Prior to the service, it was perfectly ok. It's been booked back in for Friday (they can't get me in any sooner). I'm curious to see what they say. They better not tell me its driver error because there was nothing wrong with it before they got their hands on it!!
This is a 2 year old thread. "Limewood33" has not been back here since his first and only post over 2 years ago. I don't think he will be answering your question.
Start a new thread, many more will see it......

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just going through this myself, and the garage is already coming out with the " Clutch not covered by warranty " line.

In over thirty years of driving, I have never worn out a clutch, ever, nor to be fair, has my wife.

Story so far is Car has about 60k Miles on the clock in for regular service, week later the car has suddenly has problems going into 1st and second gear and has to be nursed 30 miles home, ( admittedly hard on clutch but it was a sunday what do you do !)

Monday garage called said bring it in, bang clutch goes after a few miles with a thud, after being towed to the garage they are now saying ooh we never have problems with the clutch, cobblers, something smells here, and it's not jut a worn clutch !

This car has an easy life, no towing or off roading and the only reason we went 4x4 is because we live in a rural area, prone to flooding

I am going to fight this tooth and nail, as I know full well something else caused it.
I will refuse the car back until the whole gear box and transmission is checked, and I will have it done independently, if I have to.

Any other experiences you have, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Valley
What part of the world do you live in? How many miles are on your Kia? About 60K is not an answer. As your basic warranty ends at 60K. depending on what country you live in.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts