Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on changing the exhaust system to a catback system. A friend took me his regular muffler shop. The owner of the shop recommended the following:

A 2.5" straight pipe from the 2nd cat to the back attached to a magnaflow hi-flo exhaust.

Total cost for parts and workmanship is $400.00

Sounds very simple(?).

Also, any comments on the exhaust sound? Louder?

Thanks.
:confused:

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
Its sounds like a lot of money for something that is not going to do anything other than be loud.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
I am planning on changing the exhaust system to a catback system. A friend took me his regular muffler shop. The owner of the shop recommended the following:

A 2.5" straight pipe from the 2nd cat to the back attached to a magnaflow hi-flo exhaust.

Total cost for parts and workmanship is $400.00

Sounds very simple(?).

Also, any comments on the exhaust sound? Louder?

Thanks.
:confused:
LOL, why oh why would you do this. First off, why are you choosing 2.5" pipe?
400 for an exhuast is a bit much. I got one bent and hung and welded for $225.
Are you using stainless steel or something? Polished lol?
Would it be loud, yes, would it sound good, NO.

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
305 Posts
2.5 inch is perhaps a bit big for a 2.0l 4 cylinder.

You will net some extra horses though, I got an extra eight horses after changing to a 2.5 inch cat back system on my car. Mine is a 2.7l though.

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
305 Posts
And if you want to spend your money, then go right ahead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.
The project is on hold until I do more research on it.
The muffler guy is very helpful but we're having a "communication" problem. For the price he quoted, I think he is replacing everything after the exhaust manifold/first cat. He has a machine that does mandrel bending and lots of tubings and exhaust parts in his shop. I am waiting for my friend who speaks his language to have a talk with him to make sure of what he's going to do. I have seen his "work" in his shop and he does know his trade.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Everything after the cat, that is piping and a muffler so that should not make the price go up much. If hes going to replace the resonator (which is after the cat), tell him not to, its not broke, dont replace it, or just remove it and use piping instead. It will make it loud though as that is basically a silencer.

·
Registered
07 Kia Sportage 2WD, V6, EX
88 Posts
2 1/2 is way too large!!!!
Here is a chart for dual pipes.
see the single pipe colum
Exhaust Pipe Size Estimate: A good section of straight pipe will flow about 115 CFM per square inch of area. Here’s a quick table that shows how many CFM each common pipe size will flow, as well as the estimated max horsepower for each pipe size:
Add these ARE MAX hp....which you will never even be close to.

Pipe Diameter (inches)1 3/4, 2 , 2 1/4

Max HP Per Pipe 108, 144, 185

Max HP For A Dual Pipe System 215, 289, 381

NOTE: These numbers are just estimates. All pipes are assumed to be 16 gauge steel.

The table above is probably over-estimating pipe size, but you can see that a 400 hp vehicle with a dual exhaust system only needs 2 1/4 – 2 1/2 inch pipes. Anything larger is overkill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts