Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 sportage 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a new set of rings in my 98 sportage 2.0. When i took the first cat off the exhaust manifold there was a single screen meshwise about like a screen door. Is this the total cat or am i missing something? Also the 2ed cat has about the same inlet and outlet temps arround 375-400 idling. Is this an indication of a bad cat?

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,696 Posts
Take it for a 5ml run on the hiway, then measure the temp, outlet should be +/->100* higher than inlet... Philip

·
Registered
17 Posts
if ur sporty is 96 or newer (obd2) it should set a cat efficency code because there is a pre cat o2 and a post cat o2. also another way to tell is if you can get ahold of a scanner that you can watch live pid data the pre cat o2 should be switching/moving up and down and the post cat o2 should have a steady flat line. if the post cat o2 is switching like the pre cat o2 then you have a bad cat. hope this helps!

·
Registered
98 sportage 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. I still would like to know if the 1st cat is a single screen or is some part of cat missing

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,173 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I still would like to know if the 1st cat is a single screen or is some part of cat missing
On the 2000 here, the 1st (upper pre-cat) has a ceramic honeycomb chamber that runs the length of the cat - place a strong light source at one end & look through the opposite end, you should see the honeycomb chamber, running the entire length of the assembly..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts