Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4 auto
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the catalytic converter need to be on the car?Will it affect the engine if removed (i know its against the law) Will it affect the O2 sensor? Will it gain any power without it? It is on a 2000 Sportage EX. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
The check engine light will NOT come on if you take your 2nd cat off. The O2 sensor is before the second CAT. If I remember correctly though, there are O2 sensors before and after your preheat CAT. KiaMech is that correct?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Starting from the exhaust manifold towards the rear it goes as follows:

1st O2 sensor
First Cat
2nd O2 sensor
2nd Cat

The first cat cannot be removed. It will cause a permanent CEL. The 2nd cat CAN be removed and will not set a CEL. However, if your location performs emissions inspections you may fail. If it's a visual check chances are the inspector won't notice. If it's a real emissions check with a probe up the tailpipe it will fail.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Ya, that's correct. I forgot about the pre-cat. For some reason I was thinking that the first generation Sportages didn't have a pre-cat. My bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You can not remove the second CAT.

A blind man would see it missing.

But that does help some.

I would like to remove my CAT to see if it solves a problem i am having

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
Originally posted by asra@Jul 27 2005, 11:05 PM
You can not remove the second CAT.

A blind man would see it missing.

But that does help some.

I would like to remove my CAT to see if it solves a problem i am having

I have mine off. And I pass inspection. Why? Because my mechanic that i take it to for inspection is stupid and whenever he asks me where my cat is, I tell him it's right off the exhaust manifold.... Then he slaps the sticker on..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts