Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I was just poking around and someone said their catalytic converter was stolen on an older Sorento.
The X-Line has 8.5" ground clearance making us a sitting duck for theft. UHG!
I'd like to get a cover plate or some other theft prevention or deterrent device installed.
I don't live in any particularly bad area, but you never know...

Let's get some ideas...

Painting it seems lame... A skid plate sounds more like it and I wonder if insurance companies might know whaich ones are best and maybe get a break on the installation of a skid plate or a cage... Just riffing here...

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I just took a flashlight out to the car - looked under it and it seems our cats are hard to get to - protected by a skid plate.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

So I think the wire mesh pipe is the cat - correct me if I'm wrong...
It's tucked up in there and it's got a few things that would make it super difficult for thieves.
That vibration isolator may be a bitch to remove it from...
The far end is way up in a very tight area where a sawzall or pipe cutter couldn't access, even without the shield.

Tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Tread

It hides under this cover making it a royal PITA to get to.
I suppose some theft deterrent security bolts for the skid plate would make it even more secure... or a better skid plate made from T304 Stainless!

Land vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

I'm pretty sure this isn't the cat - it's like 3 feet long...

I doubt we have anything to worry about - too many other easily accessed cats out there to wrestle with ours. :)

Whew - I feel so much better about this. Kia is clever! Way to go Kia!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did some more looking and it may be actually part of the exhaust manifold. So it may be virtually impossible to get to... :)

Chime in if you have definate info...

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX
12 Posts
I'm curious as to why you are so worried about someone stealing your cat that you would want to modify your vehicle just to protect it....i'm not trying to be rude, is just dont understand the concern. Cats getting stolen are generally a very rare instance and even if my cat was stolen it dont see it as a big deal. It plays no vital role on the vehicle, weld in a strait pipe and move on.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm curious as to why you are so worried about someone stealing your cat that you would want to modify your vehicle just to protect it....i'm not trying to be rude, is just dont understand the concern. Cats getting stolen are generally a very rare instance and even if my cat was stolen it dont see it as a big deal. It plays no vital role on the vehicle, weld in a strait pipe and move on.
Uhhh - there's an epidemic of cat theft throughout the country. you can't just weld on a straight pipe! LOL! Your check engine light would never go off... Car would run like crap always.
Luckily - I believe that our cats are snug up against the back of the engine - built into the exhaust manifold - so we are lucky. No cover extra protection needed. Some cars - like the Prius are massive targets of cat theft. They have more precious metals - and are more desirable as they fetch lots of cash. Thieves are drawn to them like a moth to a flame. :)

Reactions: Briguy65 and norse

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX AWD
411 Posts
Well, I just took a flashlight out to the car - looked under it and it seems our cats are hard to get to - protected by a skid plate.

View attachment 121336
So I think the wire mesh pipe is the cat - correct me if I'm wrong...
It's tucked up in there and it's got a few things that would make it super difficult for thieves.
That vibration isolator may be a bitch to remove it from...
The far end is way up in a very tight area where a sawzall or pipe cutter couldn't access, even without the shield.

View attachment 121337
It hides under this cover making it a royal PITA to get to.
I suppose some theft deterrent security bolts for the skid plate would make it even more secure... or a better skid plate made from T304 Stainless!

View attachment 121338
I'm pretty sure this isn't the cat - it's like 3 feet long...

I doubt we have anything to worry about - too many other easily accessed cats out there to wrestle with ours. :)

Whew - I feel so much better about this. Kia is clever! Way to go Kia!
Nope first is a flex pipe, second is the CAT:
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

You know you looked like you were trying to steal a cat being down there in the dark with a flashlight 🤣I wouldn't mind someone stealing my cat (as long as it was a clean cut). Would give me an excuse to straight pipe it :p

·
Registered
22 Sorento SX-P PHEV Silky Silver
76 Posts
I believe the primary cat is attached to the exhaust manifold and this is the secondary cat, which is beyond the O2 sensors and will not throw a CEL if it's removed.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX
12 Posts
Uhhh - there's an epidemic of cat theft throughout the country. you can't just weld on a straight pipe! LOL! Your check engine light would never go off... Car would run like crap always.
Luckily - I believe that our cats are snug up against the back of the engine - built into the exhaust manifold - so we are lucky. No cover extra protection needed. Some cars - like the Prius are massive targets of cat theft. They have more precious metals - and are more desirable as they fetch lots of cash. Thieves are drawn to them like a moth to a flame. :)
I think calling it and epidemic is extreme. I know the cat has value and people do steal them. To be fair I dont know what part of the country you live in, but in all of my years living in the Detroit area(high crime area for auto theft) and now south Florida(high crime area for auto theft) I have never had a cat stolen, known anyone who has had one stolen or even heard a story from someone who knew someone that had a cat stolen. So I dont think its an epidemic.

Also I have removed the cat from several of my cars on purpose and they usually run BETTER(especially turbo cars). Only a few of them set of the check engine light and it was a simple fix to get rid of it. So yes you can just straight pipe it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weird. My level of protection is genius. It's called a garage. :D :D :D
I travel for work sometimes and have to park in hotel parking lots. So… a garage isn’t an option.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope first is a flex pipe, second is the CAT:
View attachment 121359

You know you looked like you were trying to steal a cat being down there in the dark with a flashlight 🤣I wouldn't mind someone stealing my cat (as long as it was a clean cut). Would give me an excuse to straight pipe it :p
I thought the exact same thing when I was doing this! LOL!

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX-L
56 Posts
Yep, the one with the braided mesh around it is the flex pipe.

The ones closest to the exhaust manifolds (if your engine even has a manifold, most newer engines have the manifolds integrated into the cylinder head) are actually the PRE-cats. Their main purpose is to reduce startup emissions, and increase the efficiency of the main catalytic converter that's further back.

The long tube AFTER the flexpipe is the main catalytic converter and the primary target for thieves.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, the one with the braided mesh around it is the flex pipe.

The ones closest to the exhaust manifolds (if your engine even has a manifold, most newer engines have the manifolds integrated into the cylinder head) are actually the PRE-cats. Their main purpose is to reduce startup emissions, and increase the efficiency of the main catalytic converter that's further back.

The long tube AFTER the flexpipe is the main catalytic converter and the primary target for thieves.
Oh man - that long tube is a sitting duck. Ugh! Weird that there are no oxygen sensors around it...

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX AWD. got to admit, for a I-4, car does have some spunk to it. Wife is 5' tall, fits.
19 Posts
Cats stolen are a common occurrence here in SW Florida, I mean common. It is a joke really. You ask for a deterrent, a cheap one for you to sleep easy? Buy a cheap pair of side steps for your Sorento they "hang lower than the door threshold which prevents just sliding under the vehicle and snatching the cat. You naysayers, READ Google cat thefts before you post. Person has a legitimate thought and you slight it. Our kid does college and the thieves have robbed daycare vans, EMT training trucks, cars in apt parking lots, and tried to hit a few business lots here where we live. I am so glad I installed running boards on the wifes car, the kids, as well as mine. With an Asian wife and in laws it helps them step up and in, but it gives me peace of mind, knowing it is also a deterrent. A car broke down near entrance to our rural hood, in one day they cut the cat, left the car with exhaust hanging. Poor guy had to have it towed home all it needed was gas. Now it needs an exhaust repair. Thing was they stole the cat in broad daylight. People watching as they drove by.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I may get a skid plate or a cage for mine. With 8.5" ground clearance the steps may not hang low enough. Also with parts being hard to get - I'd hate to get mine stolen - and have to wait for a replacement...

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX AWD Gravity Gray 2012 Kia Sorento LX AWD 3.5V6 Dark Cherry
106 Posts
I may get a skid plate or a cage for mine. With 8.5" ground clearance the steps may not hang low enough. Also with parts being hard to get - I'd hate to get mine stolen - and have to wait for a replacement...
Yes. It's a real thing...and people are getting desperate...
Hood Automotive design Art Font Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Water Motor vehicle Grille Automotive exterior
Light Automotive tire Font Engineering Auto part

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm wondering... why couldn't you make an alarm - with a wire welded to each end of the cat, and if the wire is cut - the alarm goes off...
Have about 10 wires welded on and they wont know which one to jumper to diable the alarm wire...

Or just have a wire welded to the front part of the exhaust and a wire at the rear of the muffler and anytime the resistance is less than zero - the alarm goes off.
What are some other ideas that may work?
Also a sawzall vibrates alot - maybe a vibration senso when the car is parked...
A pipe cutter doesn't vibrate but once they cut one side, breaking continuity, - the alarm will go off... Oh shit - gotta go! LOL!

Reactions: Mr. Wigglesworth
1 - 20 of 33 Posts