Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage LX 2.7L V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've had the catalytic converter stolen off my 2008 Kia Sportage LX (2.7L).

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience replacing the catalytic converter with a straight pipe?
Are there issues with the oxygen sensors on this specific model afterwards?

Here is where the cat was cut out:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage LX 2.7L V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone that comes across this with the same question.

I had a shop weld in a straight pipe.
I've driven the car about 100km since and haven't noticed any difference. The sound is about the same.
There is no check engine on.
Good luck and may those that steal cats stub their toes every day for the rest of their lives!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,476 Posts
The post cat O2 sensor will detect the loss of the converter and should throw a CEL.
Not sure why it didn't on Syntaxc above.

Its an expensive part to replace and a common theft item due to the Nobel metals utilized within.
That said, its really not Kosher to run your vehicle without the Cat, but it can be done.
Go to the parts store and ask for a 'Test Pipe' that will fit your specific vehicle.
Sorry you were caught up in this.....

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,476 Posts
Syntaxc. I do not have precise measurements. It is down stream of where the cat is located. You can see it from under the vehicle if on a lift.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
118 Posts
I ran into this once, tried 2 shops near me about that straight pipe. I was told that I was asking them to break the law and they wouldn't do it. I just bit the bullet and bought a converter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts