Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I have a 2004 Kia Sorento 2.4 petrol LHD in Spain and the local Kia garage has told me that i need a new catalytic converter and a rear drive shaft (Drivers side) but at a cost of €1400 for the converter and €600 for the drive shaft. This is a price i cannot afford, I have looked on the internet here in spain trying to locate these but without success. My question is are the parts from the 3.5 petrol model the same as the 2.4 as i can locate these much easier. Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

·
Diesel Pro
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,957 Posts
The drive shaft might be similar (I would wonder what has happened to require just one side replacing?) since the V6 and diesel rear axles are similar (Kia cost saving exercise) but not 100% as 2.4 were never available here. Doubt if Cat would be the same.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
For the catalytic converter, just go to a exhaust shop and get them to fit one that fits.
Does not need to be kia. They just weld it on.
Will be much cheaper than that.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
with exhuast they will just find one off the sheld that fits and install it.
Its a bit like light bulbs, lots of different sizes and performance factors, but compatible.
Kinda like light bulbs in the sense that you dont have to go to kia to buy it..

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Also drive shaft can probably be rebuilt for far cheaper than a new one (even the ones that are supposed to be throw away). As at a driveline shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, The petrol Sorento is 3.5 litre. It has 3 x Catalytic converters - one on each exhaust manifold and one before the muffler -(silencer). I am in the process of replacing the complete system on my 2004 Sorento. In the UK there is no aftermarket cat or exhaust system available - the manifold cats are unique to this car. Kia quoted £2700 for the complete system including the cats. I have now managed to source an aftermarket system from Rockauto in US at a total price of approx £1000 including delivery. All should be fitted by next week.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Yes but he has the 2.4 four cylinder that was sold in some European countries, chances are it has only cat in the exhause pipe. It is very similar to the 2.4 Mitsubishi four.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts