Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Sedona ex
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 Sedona EX with 85,000 miles and have always had the suggested maintenence performed at a Kia dealership. I was recently advised by thedealership that my catalytic converters need to be replaced at a cost of more than $2,000. They were quick to inform me that the warranty for the exhaust system expired at 80,000 miles.

I took the car to an independant mechanic and was informed that Champion spark plugs were installed in the vehicle and that was probably to cause of the damage to the catalytic converters. He said Kia's should use NGK spark plugs.

The same Kia dealership that changed the spark plugs during the 60,000 maintainence stated that Champion spark plugs are sufficient and were not the cause of the damage. They said it was simply a defective part.

I contacted the Kia Customer Assistance Center and so far they have been very little help.

My question is as follows: Are Champion spark plugs an acceptable alternative to the NGK spark plugs that are original equipment? Could use of Champion spark plugs cause the catalytic converter to fail? If so, is it reasonable to expect the Kia dealership to repair the vehicle free of charge?

Thanks in advance for responses

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
I own a 2006 Sedona EX with 85,000 miles and have always had the suggested maintenence performed at a Kia dealership. I was recently advised by thedealership that my catalytic converters need to be replaced at a cost of more than $2,000. They were quick to inform me that the warranty for the exhaust system expired at 80,000 miles.

I took the car to an independant mechanic and was informed that Champion spark plugs were installed in the vehicle and that was probably to cause of the damage to the catalytic converters. He said Kia's should use NGK spark plugs.

The same Kia dealership that changed the spark plugs during the 60,000 maintainence stated that Champion spark plugs are sufficient and were not the cause of the damage. They said it was simply a defective part.

I contacted the Kia Customer Assistance Center and so far they have been very little help.

My question is as follows: Are Champion spark plugs an acceptable alternative to the NGK spark plugs that are original equipment? Could use of Champion spark plugs cause the catalytic converter to fail? If so, is it reasonable to expect the Kia dealership to repair the vehicle free of charge?

Interesting. Champion and NGK plugs have been used in the Kia engines without any issues. I find it interesting that the dealer is not going to bat for you and asking the district manager to goodwill it. What led them to decide that the catalytic convertors needed replaced?

·
Registered
'02 Sedona 3.5L
75 Posts
Is your CEL on? I would go to Autozone or any local part stores to get a code read to find out what the problem is before let the dealer replace the cat converter. The dealer might start on the cat and then end up replace all your sensers until you are broke.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I had the same problem in a 04 sedona but after I had it put on a machine at the auto parts store we were told it needed a oxygen sensor (part was about $100. labor $100.) my van has 2 of these and then I had the catalytic converter cleaned out.well worth the small fee I paid the store for using their diagnostics equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts