Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2016, Kia Soul, 2.0L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My girlfriend's 2016 Kia Soul 2.0L with 96k miles has been acting sluggish lately and a noticeable loss of power. The car struggles to get up to speed limit on highways.

We took her car to the dealership today and they said she has a clogged catalytic converter and intermediate pipe. Replacement is ~$1,900.
This is very unfortunate because two weeks ago she just spent $1,200 for some other car issues: new rotors, calipers, etc...

At the moment, she will not be able to replace the catalytic converter.
Using a fuel additive to clean the catalytic converter might work, but the clog could also be too much for a fuel additive to help at this point.
After doing some research, some people have removed their catalytic converter, cleaned it, and reattached it.
I am by no means a mechanic, but watching some videos might help to remove the catalytic converter to clean it.

Also considering purchasing an OEM catalytic converter and replacing the clogged one:

Any tips or suggestions for her car would be much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
6 Posts
My girlfriend's 2016 Kia Soul 2.0L with 96k miles has been acting sluggish lately and a noticeable loss of power. The car struggles to get up to speed limit on highways.

We took her car to the dealership today and they said she has a clogged catalytic converter and intermediate pipe. Replacement is ~$1,900.
This is very unfortunate because two weeks ago she just spent $1,200 for some other car issues: new rotors, calipers, etc...

At the moment, she will not be able to replace the catalytic converter.
Using a fuel additive to clean the catalytic converter might work, but the clog could also be too much for a fuel additive to help at this point.
After doing some research, some people have removed their catalytic converter, cleaned it, and reattached it.
I am by no means a mechanic, but watching some videos might help to remove the catalytic converter to clean it.

Also considering purchasing an OEM catalytic converter and replacing the clogged one:

Any tips or suggestions for her car would be much appreciated!!!
Did your girlfriend get the software update from the Kia dealership? Some owners have reported loss of power after receiving the update. 2016 Kia Soul 2.0L ECU Software update failure | Kia Forum (kia-forums.com)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts