Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my lower intake manifold about three weeks ago and had the battery out to gain access to the furthest rear bolts. Since then ive driven at least 300 miles and at least 45 key cycles. All monitors now report complete accept the catalyst monitor.

Is there a really wierd condition the truck must drive in to complete the monitor?

I drive at a good range of speeds, fill the tank to at least 3/4 when it gets down to 1/4 and obviously sometimes I have a/c on and sometimes not.

Anyone have any knowlege on finishing this drive cycle so i can pass emmissios?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hi Deerock,

Hopefully this link will help:

CAR NOT READY? General Motors Driving Cycle

IIRC, the tech I talked to last year stated the (GM) readiness test was applicable to the '00 Sporty here - but he also stated it may take a few hundred miles for all monitors to show ready (e.g. generic test.)

--
The 'hold at 55-60mph' is important for the readiness test, and AFAIK, needs to be completed in the same drive cycle as the other condition tests to set the readiness monitor on, fyi..

Taking it up on a major interstate/freeway and getting to highway speed for 20-30 minutes each way may help to set the monitor on..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
Also check for any pending codes.

The ready monitors will stall if there are any present... Philip

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off thanks for.both of your replies. I was hoping to get one of you two to reply in this thread, to get you both is a bonus in my book.

On to the kia... Turns out there was a pending code for O2 sensor B1S1 slow response, first time i've run in to any issues with the upstream oxygen zensor.

The connectors and wires checked out so i went ahead and replaced the sensor. Damn thing stripped the threads coming out but nothing to do at that point but let it happen. I ground down the threads on the new sensor till it would just freely drop all the way in to the manifold. Then used a cold weld filler that has impressed me in the past, and didnt let me down on this night either.

Ive had her running 13 miles and letting her idle as i post this.

I have the gas tank filled over have way, tomorrow will check if the pending code cleared itself or i will clear it when i get to work tomorrow.

Hopefully i can get started with the catalyst drive cycle that waz so kindly postex above started.

Thanks guys and happy wrenching.

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,694 Posts
The pre-CAT O2 runs about 600*, so the epoxy fix may not last.... correct repair is to drill it out and either use an insert or weld a new bung...

Any illegal air in the exhaust will cause the O2 to see lean and send more fuel to the engine.... Philip

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pre-CAT O2 runs about 600*, so the epoxy fix may not last.... correct repair is to drill it out and either use an insert or weld a new bung...

Any illegal air in the exhaust will cause the O2 to see lean and sen.d more fuel to the engine.... Philip
Yes this i am aware of. There is no flashing at the bung so it should be ok for now. At the time i was in a parking lot after work and it was getting dark out.

When i have the time i will remove the exhaust manifold so i can tap a new thread

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do, hopefully I have nothing else to add (for my sake), but i will be sure to update you guys either way.

The MIL is inactive, I will continue to check for pending codes and catalyst readiness status obviously and let you all know if everything checks out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update:

B1S1 O2 issues are gone, but I now have a code p0422.

Will remove Main Catalyst and inspect for cleaning or replacement.

I suppose I have the new O2 sensor to thank for that (it never really ends does it...). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hi DeeRock,

recommend downloading the Sportage manual in the thread by upyourkia, s/b towards the top in this forum,

uncompress with winrar or suitable .rar file extraction utility, you are looking for

Group21-2.pdf, page 24..

*If you have a live data scanner, checking B1S2 readings using the information provided may help confirm a bad cat., and/or help point you to the other diagnostic checks listed,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'll check that out.

I have hooked up a live data scanner, and promptly gotten the message "this vehicle does not support live data". The scanner was an expensive Matco version, I can try a Snap On Verus, but with this code and the fact that it's a heated O2 I'm pretty sure I know what's going on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Passed emissions. When I looked in the main catalyst it what completely hollow and I wasn't counting on the price being as high as they are on this part (at least the places that I could get it from before my tag expires).

I took an 18mm spark plug non-fouler and drilled it out to 1/2" ID, installed the downstream O2 sensor in to it and reinstalled in the exhaust pipe. Got it out of the exhaust stream enough that the voltage doesn't read too similar to the upstream sensor. As aquanaught may certainly remind me, this is not the correct repair but my main intention was to get my tag so I have a year to deal with parts on my time, not my States' time. The correct thing to do obviously was buy a new catalytic converter.... if you can find one with studs already pressed in anyway. :rolleyes:

No engine light or pending codes 4 days, 12-15 key cycles and about 100 miles.

Now of course that this is all out of the way, and as life regularly seems to do, I am getting a definite miss on rolling from stop and intermittent kick in third gear. I'm leaning towards a coil but no sense beating around it, due for a tuneup anyways and as lean as it ran before changing the intake gasket I'm sure I've burned up my copper spark plugs.

Any how, appreciate all the helpful souls in this forum as always. Hopefully some of the information in this thread will help someone else one day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts