Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Sportage 2WD 2.0L MFI DOHC 4cyl A/C 4 Door
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 sportage 2wd that will not go beyond 50mph. Any rpm over 2000 it starts to sputter.
It has 1 02 sensor in the manifold and a second 02 sensor just beyond the warm up CAT. I have no codes at the moment , but I get 0300-0304 random misfires that will go away after not driving over 40mph or on the freeway for 1 or 2 drive cycles.
I took the temps with the engine warm.
Just beyond the pre- CAT 875F
Just before the main CAT 675F
Just after the main CAT 300F

Upon closer inspection the arrow on the main cat is pointing toward the engine.
It's A Kia CAT and has been welded before the cat and has a flange behind.
The number is K08B.
In the photos the front of the car is on the left .

My Question is, Can I just cut this mess out and replace it with straight pipe?
There is no 02 sensor beyond the main CAT So it can't possibly be monitoring the main CAT, So why do I need it?

Thanks
Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll replace the fuel filter tomorrow.
I'm assuming the main CAT 02 sensor(s) are not there because the CAT was installed backwards.
There are just 2, no more downstream.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,889 Posts
Looks like your vehicle is only monitoring the first CAT, so would have no control issues replacing the second CAT with a straight through pipe, other than the impact on the environment and possibly not passing an inspection.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
174 Posts
More than likely designed like the 80's American cars, only monitoring before the first converter for fuel control and added the second to make sure the precat was working properly. I'm used to them monitoring all converters.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the fuel Filter, and I can't detect a change.
Thinking about it last night , a straight pipe would be a bone head move ,
so I am going to replace the main CAT with a new one.

So, I will need to tap a bung on the pipe past the main CAT,
move sensor 2 to that new hole,
move sensor 1 to sensor 2's old location and,
plug the hole left where sensor 1 previously was?

OR

Should I just leave the sensors alone and just replace the main CAT?

thanks for the advice.
Jason

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
174 Posts
I went and looked at mine. Mine has it in the manifold and the second right after the precat. So, someone must has just installed your second converter backwards, won't cause a problem.

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
174 Posts
Just out of curiosity, your valve cover isn't leaking oil is it? Reason I asked is because mine started skipping real bad on cylinder #3 and #4 , found both plugs hole full of oil from the cover leaking into the plug side.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The valve cover is leaking at the back yes.
It does not leave an oil spot on the driveway, and the oil level has not gone down since I have had the car, So it's low priority right now, but it is on my to do list.
At this point I just need the darn thing to pass emissions so I can get the paperwork finished.
The CEL was on this morning, but went off this evening after driving to and from work today.

They sell the Pipe and CAT assembly as a bolt on replacement.
It looks exactly like what is on the car now.
The thing I can't understand is how in the world can the CAT be backward...
Is it possible that just the heat shield got reversed ?
I just don't see a way to turn it backwards as it's a bolt on assembly.
It's clearly been welded on the front side , but to use an OEM cat and put it on like that would be very very hard to do as you would need to cut off the flange and weld it onto the reverse side.
Unless it's an after market CAT and they somehow installed the original heat shield onto it and did it backwards.

Is there another way to test for a blocked exhaust? I don't have access to a live data scan tool.
I can take sensor 1 out as I already replaced it , but sensor 2 is pretty rusted and hard to reach.

I have a pressure gauge and I can probably rig together a back pressure test with that later this week.

I have had very bad luck with exhaust fasteners in the past and don't envision that changing, so I'd like to avoid removing anything that is not necessary. I'm already at my wits end with the exhaust hanger bolt as it rusted off and remains in the nut forcing me to drill it out and can't get a hardened bit to drill it out. everything now days is for drilling alumina not heat treated steel.

Thanks for your help
Jason

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
174 Posts
If you can get front o2 sensor out, check back pressure there. If any back pressure, likely converters clogged. Misfires will get one of ran long enough cause of the unburnt fuel. It will rise the converter temp extremely high and will start melting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can get the upstream sensor out as I recently replaced it.
I'm constructing a back pressure tester.
I just need an m18 to 1/4" npt adapter.
That's today's mission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I assembled my tester, with 4 feet of hose so I could read the gauge from the drivers seat and ..
at idle = 0 psi
at 2500 rpm = 40 psi

I had to test it again to confirm.
yes it's momentarily up to 40 psi when I rev the engine.

I think between that test and the temperature readings, I am pretty sure it's the main backwards CAT.

I'm going to do it myself so It get's installed in the right direction.

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
Sportage Limited 2001
174 Posts
Sounds like you found it, shouldn't go passed 2 psi. If converter is cooked, may want to see why, skipping, rich unburned fuel, etc..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I finally got the Kia up on blocks and replaced the cat assembly. The old cat was at least 10 pounds heavier than the new one. When I tilted the old cat Round pieces of ceramic honeycomb started rolling out the front side, while the downstream side still appears to be in tact.
This was no easy task as the nuts were seized in place and almost impossible to break loose. I found that a simple propane torch was enough to heat the nuts glowing red and while they were still hot , the nuts came right off. I did not think propane burned hot enough, but it does heat the exhaust nut to red hot in under a minute. The O2 sensor was a real bugger , but with heat it broke loose too.

I just took it for a spin and WOW , what a HUGE difference in POWER! HUGE! Now I can finally drive it on the free way and sit there in traffic and move at 5mph, it's been my dream LOL.

On the Flip side, The pre-cat looks as though the honeycomb has shifted and will probably be the next thing to replace.

Also note that I have had exactly zero trouible codes in the last 3 weeks. I found that If I baby the accelerator I can get along fine. As soon as I step deep into it , the CEL comes on and shows misfires.

However now there is a new problem, but I will start a new thread for that.

Thank you guys for the advice.
Jason

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage EX 4x4
76 Posts
Glad you were able to sort out your CAT issue. You should replace the pre-CAT sooner than later. If the honeycomb has shifted, it's already breaking up and will soon clog your brand new CAT.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts