Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,475 Posts
The joint is there because of support. A one piece shaft if too long will cause a vibration because the middle is not strong enough to withstand centrifugal force. If the shaft is made of a larger diameter, stiffer material you can achieve a succesfull conversion. A question I would have is, who makes it, what diameter is the tube, and what kind of warranty does it come with? A carrier bearing is only $89 if you do it yourself. I have had mine replaced at 56,000(under warranty and then at 101,000). At that rate the driveshaft might pay for itself in a few replacements. What quality u-joints are they using and can you get replacements? I am not discouraging you in anyway but just tossing out some food for thought.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The joint is there because of support. A one piece shaft if too long will cause a vibration because the middle is not strong enough to withstand centrifugal force. If the shaft is made of a larger diameter, stiffer material you can achieve a succesfull conversion. A question I would have is, who makes it, what diameter is the tube, and what kind of warranty does it come with? A carrier bearing is only $89 if you do it yourself. I have had mine replaced at 56,000(under warranty and then at 101,000). At that rate the driveshaft might pay for itself in a few replacements. What quality u-joints are they using and can you get replacements? I am not discouraging you in anyway but just tossing out some food for thought.
Thanks for the input, I offered 300 on it and see if he takes it. Its worth a try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts