Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sedona SXL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Doe's anyone know if you need a navigation chip to use carplay? My 2016 Sedona didn't have a nav chip when I got it and there is no connectivity icon on the setup screen.

·
Registered
'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX, Atlanta, GA, USA
230 Posts
I think it does require the SD card for operation. I'm sure you can get one from your local dealer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes, for my Sedona, I was told I had the choice of either buying the SD card from the dealer for about $50, or downloading and installing the update myself. I chose the download route (since mine did have the original SD card). It took quite a long time for the update to install, but it worked perfectly.

I wish I could update my Cadenza similarly, but it's not compatible with AA or CarPlay.

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
100 Posts
At this point, either buy an SD card off of eBay--which will not have the *latest* maps (but who uses THOSE vs. Goog or Apple?) but will be cheaper, i.e., under $50 bucks--or buy it directly from the maps website:
https://www.kia-gpsmap.us/map-updates/kia-sedona-2015-v13-0.html

$145 if downloaded; $175 for physical SD card.

Had a buddy buy the SD card for his new-to-him 2015 Sorrento a few weeks ago. Worked perfectly. Map upgrade SD card ALSO updates Carplay.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX-L
26 Posts
At this point, either buy an SD card off of eBay--which will not have the *latest* maps (but who uses THOSE vs. Goog or Apple?) but will be cheaper, i.e., under $50 bucks--or buy it directly from the maps website:

$145 if downloaded; $175 for physical SD card.

Had a buddy buy the SD card for his new-to-him 2015 Sorrento a few weeks ago. Worked perfectly. Map upgrade SD card ALSO updates Carplay.
My 2015 SX-L currently has the stock maps. If I buy this update, it will add CarPlay/Android Auto to my headunit?

·
Registered
230 Posts
My 2015 SX-L currently has the stock maps. If I buy this update, it will add CarPlay/Android Auto to my headunit?
Yes it should. When I bought my '16, AA & Carplay were not there. I downloaded the update shortly after buying, and it added them.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sedona SX-L
6 Posts
Just bought a 2016 Sedona SX-L and I’m trying to update to interface Apple Carplay. I see stuff all over online that says you can download it for free, just make a UVO account online, but I can’t find the update anywhere. I haven’t ruled out the chance that I’m a blind idiot, but has anyone else recently had trouble locating this supposedly free software update? I’d really like to have the connectivity. Carplay was something I was pretty excited about.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX-L
26 Posts
Just bought a 2016 Sedona SX-L and I’m trying to update to interface Apple Carplay. I see stuff all over online that says you can download it for free, just make a UVO account online, but I can’t find the update anywhere. I haven’t ruled out the chance that I’m a blind idiot, but has anyone else recently had trouble locating this supposedly free software update? I’d really like to have the connectivity. Carplay was something I was pretty excited about.
This option was only available for a limited time during its initial rollout in 2018. As of now, the free official download from Kia is gone. You can now purchase it for $145 and download it or you can pay $175 to get the included SD card with the program already installed on it. I'm sure the file may be available online somewhere floating around, but I personally wouldn't trust it.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX-L
26 Posts
Just updated my headunit to the newest update and AppleCar Play and Google Maps are amazing on this large screen. I actually got my clock back as it's been missing. Kia stated there was an issue with the clock being missing, but after the update it's back. If you all are on the fence about getting this update, just do it. I paid the $145, downloaded the program using the online instructions and it installed within 35-45 minutes from download to full vehicle install.

·
Registered
16 Sedona SXL
52 Posts
Thanks for confirming.
Edit: Never mind, looks like your update worked. If your clock on the UVO system is still missing, that's a known issue with some sort of GPS clock bug recently. I lost my clock for like 5 days before it fixed itself, but others have had to pull a fuse to hard reset the head unit to get the clock back.

You need to confirm with KIA that the update (since it costs money now) is compatible with the 15 model year. I think by the time KIA was working on AA and Carplay the 15 Sedona was already out, and by the time they finished the update, the 16 model years cars were out as well. That's why it was free initially if you had a 16 Sedona. I got it in 2017 when it was still free. However I seem to remember when looking up how to update that somewhere it said 2015 Sedonas were simply not compatible with AA or Carplay. Maybe that's changed in the last couple of years. You should definitely make sure before dropping $150 on this.

Hopefully it is compatible, because Android Auto rocks, and it was even recently updated by Google (on the smartphone side), and the upgraded version works even better. I still sometimes use the Kia navigation system for set destinations (home, work, daycare etc) if I'm too lazy to plug the phone in, but for any new destinations, there's nothing better than Google maps. Just hit the voice control button on the steering wheel, say something like "navigate to the store/restaurant/airport/whatever name in anytown, state" and a route is automatically plotted for your in 5 seconds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts