Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2011 Sorento has holes in the driver's side carpet. First noticed after about 15 month's of ownership, approximately 40,000km. Its in the area of the foot rest on the left side of the driver's side foot well. This is my wife's daily driver, and she wears high heels most often. Looking at the carpet and floor system around the foot rest, there is no support under the carpet here. Her heels wore/poked through the carpet. This is no surprise since there is no support for the carpet.

We brought it to our dealer's attention, they photographed it and submitted a warranty claim to Kia Canada. We were told Kia rejected the warranty claim saying it was normal wear and tear. I'm not satisfied with normal wear and tear.

Has anyone else seen similar issues with their carpet?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX FWD 4cyl, Titanium/Black
65 Posts
Our 2011 Sorento has holes in the driver's side carpet. First noticed after about 15 month's of ownership, approximately 40,000km. Its in the area of the foot rest on the left side of the driver's side foot well. This is my wife's daily driver, and she wears high heels most often. Looking at the carpet and floor system around the foot rest, there is no support under the carpet here. Her heels wore/poked through the carpet. This is no surprise since there is no support for the carpet.

We brought it to our dealer's attention, they photographed it and submitted a warranty claim to Kia Canada. We were told Kia rejected the warranty claim saying it was normal wear and tear. I'm not satisfied with normal wear and tear.

I'd recommend you go to a Husky or WeatherTech floor liner. I've had the Husky's for a year now and am very happy (and they are much less expensive):

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
And the MAGIC words are "high heels"....
My wife and daughter have done damage to the heat registers in the bath room and in my wife's 07 Spectra the carpet. Funny "my" 06 Spectra doesn't have this damage....
Manufactors can not take into account ALL variables for wear...and damage...
Those heels are hard on all surfaces.
Dave

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
I don't know about most of you, but when I bought my Sorento, front carpet mats were included at no extra cost. And you are right, women's narrow high heels will cut through anything in a short time. Their pressure point has been evaluated as as much as an elephant's weight at the heel's imprint area.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
138 Posts
Their pressure point has been evaluated as as much as an elephant's weight at the heel's imprint area.
And the first time you explain to your wife that her high heels are the equivalent of an elephant's pressure point will be the last time you sleep in the same bed... :lol:

Agreed, though, that her high heels are causing the damage. Just google "High heels floor damage" to see what they do to wood floors, berber carpet, etc...

Although you may not be "satisfied" with Kia calling it normal wear and tear, I would actually consider it to be excessive wear caused by the operator. If I were a PGA golfer and wore my spikes in the car all the time, I would expect problems with the carpeting. High heels are not much different...

Get some good floor mats (or a bunch of cheap ones), and that's the best you can hope for unless your wife decides that she can sacrifice some style for comfort and damage control. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mat issues

The terms and conditions clause of the businesses are one of the trickiest things to comprehend. Different companies treat the same subject as per their policies. You must check the terms and conditions in the paperwork and see if the damage caused was covered under any clause or not. If yes then go ahead to fight it out. Else buy a new mat and ask your wife to be careful from now onwards. :)

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts

I agree with many of the other comments, I don't blame Kia Canada for rejecting it, that is abnormal wear. Also its a bad idea to drive any vehicle with high-heels, same situation with flip-flops - they are a safety hazard. Get a good set of heavy rubber floor mats, which should be normal particular when you live in Canada with all the bad weather conditions we get.

Also it would be helpful to members if you could fill out your location and details of your drive, as this is worldwide forum and vehicles are not necessary the same from country to country, just makes answering questions that much easier when we have this info -thanks.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I think it takes a pretty big pair of brass ones to go to a dealer with this problem and expect any sort of warranty coverage.

I agree that:

a) Driving in high heels isn't the brightest thing to do.
b) If you choose to ignore common sense and do it anyway, you might want to invest in a set of husky or weathertech mats so you don't prematurely wear out the carpet.

A little common sense goes a long way.

Best,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts