Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, I have done a search, but cannot find anything relating to the problem I am having:

Firstly, it's a 2006 Grand Carnival, 3.8l auto.
The problem I am having is that the steering wheel will not return to the straight ahead position, i.e.: with the spokes level. If I do a right hand turn, the steering wheel returns with the spoke sloped to the right, and if left, sloped to the left. However, the car doesn't seem to be pulling to either side when the s/wheel is showing the misalignment.

The steering rack and pump have recently been replaced (by the previous owner in the last 12 months) and the tie rod ends have been replaced 2 weeks ago, and an alignment done. New tyres a month ago.

There is also an occasional "clunk" that happens, and it feels as though it is under my feet when it happens (RHD)
I can't find any obvious movement in the rack mounts

Maybe somebody can shed some light on either of these issues?

One thing I am going to try tomorrow is to spray the steering shaft uni joint with WD40 and see if it makes any difference

·
Registered
2001 Kia Carnival 2.5L manual & 2000 Carnival Auto
320 Posts
check your steering rack.
They may have forgotten to tighten a bolt...
The entire assembly may have worked loose and be shifting to and fro...

Also check where your steering column joins on in front of the firewall...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have them look at the steering knuckle as well although I suspect that cluck would be higher sounding than under your feet. Could be seizing, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts