Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my suspicions were correct...with the heads removed, the K5 engine is easily removed from the top...this saves the bother of dropping the cradle, an especially difficult task without a hoist. Procedure was halted for two hours due to a converter that was seized into the spigot, so had to manouver things a little....why bums can't smear a little grease on this prior to fitting the engine is beyond me :confused: It's actually quite a simple operation to extract the block otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Good photos thanks, in my scrap book in case I ever need to do this. Whether the engine could come out the top has exercised my mind- eyeballing it, it seemed that at least the brake master cylinder would need to come off to let it past. Didn't think about pulling the heads first.

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This Friday will reveal all as the heads are on and I'll be attempting to lower the motor into place. Problems I had with removal were due to the converter being stuck in the crankshaft spigot. I've cleaned a greased the spigot so it doesn't happen when next the motor has to come out...but I don't plan on doing that for at least 100,000kms.:rolleyes:

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it worked! with the heads fitted, the engine will slip back in if you're patient. Removing the front cross bar allows the radiator assembly to move forward enough to sqeeze past the cooling fan and unbolting the brake master cylinder allows clearance for the rear cylinder head to pass by....No big deal really. The Kia Carnival is actually quite a great vehicle to work on..much better than the bloody awful Austin 1800's and Mini Minors I had to endure many years ago. Mechanics have it too easy nowadays :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
:thumbsup: Looking good!

..much better than the bloody awful Austin 1800's and Mini Minors I had to endure many years ago. :p
Arr don't remind me. Every 2nd girlfriend I had as a lad had a wretched Mini. That would do speedo cables. Or inner universals. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
KIA Carnival 2000
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting better at this...scored a spare motor from Jolly's in Ringwood the other day for $170. Had it on the ground in under two hours removing it from above. Wrestled a bit with the flywheel so removed it on the way out. Even better was to win a complete genuine Kia engine gasket set on evilbay for $20!...Enjoyed the first motor rebuild so much I wanna spare. A couple of cylinder liners seem to have sunk a little so investigative research is needed....meanwhile engine #1 has clocked up 600k's and continues to purr.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts