Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 KIA Carens 2l CRDi Automatic LS. KIA Picanto 1.1 LX
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

Finally got ahold of some 3m vehicle woodgrain vinyl from USA, got 12 rolls in a deal.
Trying to figure out how to place it. Seen some modern cars with just their doors done and others with it along the whole side.
Figure I might just do the rear hatch only.
Got some cream pin striping coming as well, 10mm and 5mm to place together to give the edging a moulded look.
Its not everyones cup of tea , but any suggestions would be appreciated.

:D

Attachments

·
Banned
79 Posts
That looks good just the way you have it! lol

Just kidding, that could be a neat look, but you'll have to cut it right, make it proportionately similar to how they used to make the 'woody' wagons etc.

I would just google/look up the actual 'woodies' from back in the day, the early 50's cars and see where they placed the panels, how far up they went etc, and draw up some kind of idea from that. If it's done right, that could actually look pretty cool, different for sure.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
IMO, fake plastic that looks like wood should never be applied to cars. Unless you want it to look like an early 90's Chrysler minivan, that is. :) Chrysler tried it again with the PT Cruiser, didn't look much better then, either.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yup

Yup, like I said, not everyones cup of tea, the minivan pic is exactly the look I am going for, I love the look.

Thanks for the support Johnny 77

Ideas from fellow Caren/Rondo 'ers.

Its going in tomorrow, the top suspension bearing has failed again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The correct vernacular, is "Phantom Woody"

Top mount changed..again...rumbling knocking noise gone and steering feels more positive now.

Thinking about just woodyfying the rear hatch.Have to heat the badges, pull them off with pliers and treat the 3m tape/glue left with nail polish remover.

Attachments

·
Banned
79 Posts
No problem MUDDS! You always have to remember too, everyone's taste is different so, if you like that look, then that's all that matters. You're always going to get either 'that looks cool' or 'that looks terrible' from people, and everything and anything in between. Most important thing you should remember is what YOU think about it, what you like, what you find attractive. The same people that tell you 'don't do that, it will look terrible' might be the same kind of people that wear clip on ties, mount 14" 3 spoke rims on 80 series tires because they miss 1989 hip hop inspired 'boyz in the hood' type mods, have a mullet still and live in their mom's basement still lol! I'm not insulting anyone who has replied here at all, just saying, everyone has an opinion, but as long as it's YOUR car, you should do to it what you feel suits you, your style, your ideas and what you want to do, simple as that.

One thing that might help make it look cool, throw a surf board or two on the roof rack. Nothing makes a 'woody' vehicle instantly cool as well as surf boards on the roof! Haha! Then, you just gotta learn how to surf if you don't already, not that hard right? lol

Good luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phantom Woody

Hmmmm..throws up another whole series of questions...real surf board or MDF board with 3m vinyl woodgrain covering...LOL:D

I've just realised another meaning of "Phantom Woody" I bet whoever coined that phrase had a sense of humour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts