Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Mazda 3 GX sport, 08 Nissn Quest SL, 10 Nissan Altima SL
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2012 RIO SX Sedan is still giving me poor milage after 4,500 Kms on the odo (around 8.4 L/100 Kms with all city driving). Never got more then 440 Kms out from a full tank. It is still throwing carbon and loosing power as soon as there is a slight uphill (w/o ECO on) starting downshifting gears like crazy. Have been to two different dealers three times but according to them there is no code stored in the computer so it means nothing to them to look at (despite viewing the black tail pipes...) No sincere effort to diagnose the problem on their side (Seriously sometime I wonder these dealers are good enough only for oil changes and tire rotations...) Anyway to cut short after viewing other threads on this forum I am worried that if this is not a beginning of a bigger problem and more hassle/time wasting visiting and communicating with dealers.

I am planning to take it to a private garage to get a resolution.

Will appreciate a quick advise how to deal with these issues.

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
My 2012 RIO SX Sedan is still giving me poor milage after 4,500 Kms on the odo (around 8.4Km/100 liters with all city driving). Never got more then 440 Kms out from a full tank. It is still throwing carbon and loosing power as soon as there is a slight uphill (w/o ECO on) starting downshifting gears like crazy. Have been to two different dealers three times but according to them there is no code stored in the computer so it means nothing to them to look at (despite viewing the black tail pipes...) No sincere effort to diagnose the problem on their side (Seriously sometime I wonder these dealers are good enough only for oil changes and tire rotations...) Anyway to cut short after viewing other threads on this forum I am worried that if this is not a beginning of a bigger problem and more hassle/time wasting visiting and communicating with dealers.

I am planning to take it to a private garage to get a resolution.

Will appreciate a quick advise how to deal with these issues.
the carbon throwing will reduce greatly after about 6000 km or so (or at least mine did).

small engine needs to downshift to get up hills and maintain current speed. not sure how steep an incline you are talking about, but certainly will need to shift more than a larger engine to get up a hill without really slowing down.

i do about 60% city, 40% highway and am averaging about 7.5 l/100 km, certainly quite lame if you take their stated performance as even somewhat true. even on a big trip it did at 100% highway with cruise @ 105 km/h, hardly any wind, mostly flat, i averaged about 6.2, with my very best being 5.8, far cry from 4.9 and there is NO way I could have driven any better unless the whole trip was downhill!

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
I live in Calgary too & have to admit my car has black deposits on the tailpipe ( Which clean off with a rag @ the carwash) & i seem to average about 8 ltrs/100 with about 70 % city driving.On the highway @110 kph on cruise control to Fort Mcleod a few weeks ago I averaged 6.7.After 4 months I am not disapointed & feel this is great fuel economy.I have 5440 Kilometers on the car & am satisfied except for the silly low passengers seat.No car is perfect but this car to me is fun,high quality,extremely stylish & great value for money.I don't know what you were expecting for fuel economy but the Transport Canada Highway rating of 4.9 is not realistic as it's not even done on the road but in a labratory enviornment. I am sure if you drove on level ground @ 70 or 80 KMH without the A/C on you could get that figure but who wants to drive like that:)?

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
My 2012 RIO SX Sedan is still giving me poor milage after 4,500 Kms on the odo (around 8.4Km/100 liters with all city driving).
Sure hope you meant 8.4 L/100km lol. That's actually 28mpg. Since the EPA estimate is 30mpg city you are actually getting very close to those estimates. I wouldn't characterize that as poor mileage.

One of the issues with this car is the relatively small gas tank. Although I'm getting better mileage than my last car, I'm getting the same km/tank because of the smaller tank. So it kind of feels like my mileage isn't any better.

·
Registered
KIA RIO 2012 SLS AUTO
16 Posts
Sure hope you meant 8.4 L/100km lol. That's actually 28mpg. Since the EPA estimate is 30mpg city you are actually getting very close to those estimates. I wouldn't characterize that as poor mileage.

One of the issues with this car is the relatively small gas tank. Although I'm getting better mileage than my last car, I'm getting the same km/tank because of the smaller tank. So it kind of feels like my mileage isn't any better.
I have the odo read 6.7l/100km last time i stopped my car at the service station for a refill. It also showed 530 km since my previous refill. however i did push my car travelling as far as itcould until it got really dry in the tank i guess.(i remember the odo stop displaying remaining km for refill when i was on 480+ km and the tank warning lit up solid). It did impress me if the computer showed me the accurate info. My car is auto and my routine is 60% 80km highway with some city driving. I bet the manual can achieve better result.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
If you haven't been using pure gas. Try it, your gas mileage should increase Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada .
Hi. I second joesyah on this. I put super or supreme (Shell V Power for instance) which is ethanol free in my Rio and I actually get more km per tank than with regular gas. I did the exercise a few times and it's for real.

I don't know how the magic works but it does. I called the dealer to get its cue on this and I was told there's no harm to be done to our Rios by filling up with super gasoline. True regular gas is cheaper though. As for did I feel a lot of difference in torque? Not truly? But it feels like the little baby is running a little bit smoother. Placebo effect? You (or experts) tell me.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
I tried it once with ethanol free gas and I also got as a result better fuel economy. Problem is just that the gas station is too far away to do it on a more regular base.

I can't confirm though if the ride was smoother. It felt pretty much the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts