Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Borrego 2009
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2500 miles from home my '09 Borrago would not start in a McDonald's parking lot. The message center kept displaying that I should depress the brake pedal. The pedal was depressed and repetitively depressed. After about 10 minutes of screwing around it finally started. Drove it to the nearest Kia dealer about 30 miles away and they promptly identified the problem as a bad brake switch. They advised that this is a common problem but Kia has not issued a Technical Service Bulletin on the issue. Took about an hour but they had good coffee, cookies and WiFi in the waiting room.

The service manager also advised that there is an unpublished override on the starting brake pedal interlock. Hold the 'start' button down for about 15 seconds and the ECM will give up and start the car.

My GPS failed at the same moment. Too much of a coincidence not to be related. It is giving a 'illegal operation' and/or a 'Failure at . . .' some HEX address. Apparently that was too much trouble to repair because the service manager shooed me out the building without even trying to fix it. In all honesty, I really did not have the time to hang around any more but I sure do miss it on a 7000 mile trip.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego EX V8 2WD
111 Posts
So the NAV had issues while at the dealership and they wouldn't take care of it? My NAV screen went blank while leaving the dealership last month for warranty work. I immediately turned around, went back and showed them what it was doing. They ordered a new unit right away and installed it when it came in.

Here is a quick fix for the NAV. On the driver's side under the steering wheel near your left knee you will find a fuse door. Pop the door off and you will see the fuse puller attached to a fuse. This is the main fuse for all of the electronics on the center stack (audio, hvac controls, etc...) Pull it out and then push it back in. This clears the system. It will clear out your pre-sets and seat memory too but it works. This is what the dealer did to clear my system while waiting for the new NAV unit to come in. It is only a temporary fix.

·
Registered
Borrego 2009
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the service manager did that and it lasted until the exit to the dealer property. Anytime I turn it on it tries a step or two then crashes.

Anyone know if this is a software reload or a complete unit replacement?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would demand a new unit. That sounds like a serious issue. You don't want that to happen once warranty is out.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
He was away from home and most dealers don't stock nav/audio units. Also, depending on his in service date and mileage, it may not be covered under warranty. Head units are only covered 3yr/36k.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As long as it is documented in the dealer database it should be fine. I am at 39k and past three years and just had it covered under warranty. I guess I just got lucky. Looked through the warranty info again. Didn't know that...

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
As long as it is documented in the dealer database it should be fine. I am at 39k and past three years and just had it covered under warranty. I thought it was 5 year/60k bumper to bumper.
Head units are only 3/36, but the rest of the system is 5/60. Maybe they good willed it for you because it was noted before the warranty expired?

·
Registered
Borrego 2009
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well . . . she felt better today. After wandering around eastern California and western Nevada lost for two days . . . completely lost, ever been on CA 89 out of South Lake Tahoe . . . Broomhilda decided she felt better and started working again.

Don't trust her though because she cannot get the minutes to destination even close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts