Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank god you guys exist...I really don't know where else to turn for this!

So I'm looking after my girlfriends 2004 Kia Sonata. It's in good condition and the battery is barely five months old. Every couple weeks I've taken it out for a quick drive or at least let the engine run to make sure everything is running OK. No problem so far.

Then a couple days ago I go to unlock the car using the fob and nothing happens. I open the door manually and put the key in the ignition and nothing happens. Initially I'm thinking the battery died somehow. BUT, now here's the weird part, when I go to jump the car and attach the final "grounded" jumper cable, before I can even turn my car on to jump the KIA, the Sonata's alarm system turns on. At this point I try to disarm with the fob and nothing happens. So I get into the Sonata and turn the key in the ignition and this time the car starts fine, the instruments light up, the clock works, and the alarm goes away. I turn off the car, disconnect the jumper cables, and try starting the car normally. Once again, it's totally dead.

All the while the fob is still useless. The red light turns on everytime I hit a button so I know it's not the battery. I'm more than happy to supply any more info...but does anyone have any thoughts? I'm seeing other people online post about similar issues. It APPEARS the battery is fine. In fact, it appears everything about the car is fine, except there's some kind of anti theft security thing in place keeping me from starting the car normally.

Any and all help is IMMENSELY appreciated. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Sounds like you have replaced the battery and did not clean the insides of the battery cable connectors. Lead oxidizes and the oxidation is a fairly good insulator. As long as the connectors are undisturbed (old battery) usually there is no problems until you replace the battery (new battery). Autozone/Advance/Harbor Freight have a wire battery terminal brush to clean the connections. I always drop a few drops of motor oil on the terminals when I change the oil and filter...Never had a bad (oxidized) battery connection.
btw...when you jumped the car you bypassed the oxidized connections..
Dave

·
Registered
2007 Rio5, 2012 Sorento EX-V6
113 Posts
Well, a couple things to mention. The car alarm goes off because as soon as the battery voltage returns (when you connect the other cars battery via the cables) The car is seeing an intruded device, without a valid unlock first, which is the hood. That is normal. The battery being dead can be from something as simple as a trunk light being on, interior dome light being left on, etc. Once the battery gets totally drained, a short two minute running is not enough to charge it. Ensure it is charged fully. If you have lost the programming of the fob, once you get the battery issue sorted, you can put the car to accessory, close the door and then hold the lock button (or unlock, can't remember) until the lights flash. It will be reprogrammed.

Check what Dave mentioned, and check for anything that could cause the battery to drain, and let us know what happened. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips! I'll try cleaning the cable connectors...but do you really think it's the new battery? The car ran fine for about a month straight after getting it replaced...no problems.

Do you think the battery really died? When I attach the my working battery to the Sorento's, I can start the car fine, all instruments come up working, it doesn't seem like it's dead...just in some kind of weird hibernation and refusing to wake up when I want it to. If that makes any sense...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts