Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there Kia experts Im a motor mechanic and purchased this kia carnival of one of my customers because she didnt want to spend any money on the car . The engine over heated so I removed the engine and did the head gaskets put every think together with new timing belts new water pump , leads plugs ,etc. and now the car does not start . i went trough everything several times and i cant seem to find what it is . As i said she was one of my customers and two days before her car overheated i was called by the owner due to the car not starting .when i went onsite the first syptoms looked like the engine had no compretion. but after checking the usual staff ( timing belts) i played with the remote and the car started . because of this expirience i keep thinking that there is some sort of electrical problem .
replaced cam sensor , crank sensor car still does not start . the car has spark and injection pulse . no faults are recored on system altough the first time i pluged in computer gave me fault 0335 crank sensor mulfunction .erased and never came up again.yesterday after flating two batteries the engine struggeld but started and ran for 30seconds fast idle but as soon as removed foot from accelerator the car stopped .and does not start .
Please any ideas i ran out of them:)

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
95 Posts
Sounds like it could be a variety of things.

You did not tell us everything, I think. Did you have the heads checked whether they were warped as this is very common after over heating. You said the engine started before the over heat event, but if the heads warped during the over heat event you may not have enough compression and that could explain the no start situation. Do a compression test on the cold engine and it should give you an idea what kind of compression you got. Could be electrical too, like you say. I assume you have checked all connections and basic stuff like fuese, relays etc. What about the ignition switch. Do you have fuel pressure at the rail, what is condition of the pump, etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply
Since i didnt say this is a 1999 v6 k5 engine and yes
the heads were machined because they were warped .i did compression test and to be honest cylinders 3,4 are lower than cylinders 1,2,5,6 but i still beleive the engine should start .

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
It may be worth sending a PM to forum member Conglomerate if he is still on the forum, as I seem to recall from his posts he's had experience with similar problems on the K5 / KV6 engine after major disassembly/reassembly work.

·
Registered
KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
95 Posts
That would certainly do it. Although he said he had compression...would that be the case with camshaft 180 out?

·
Registered
2004 Rio
99 Posts
also check the plug from wiring harness on the left side of the motor that runs across motor I had 1 not start I had the plug pluged in but it did not lock and slid out just enough to not make contact pluged it in untill it snaped and fired right up check that first

·
Registered
99 Posts
@turborattler, I think you may be talking about the 3.5 litre engine. Chris identified in his 2nd post that he is referring to the 2.5 litre K5 (aka KV6 & GV6) Rover-designed engine. The wiring associated with the engine is not the same. Cheers, Peter

·
Registered
99 Posts
Chris, did you do the timing using the Kia workshop manual instructions? Among other tricks and traps there's a pesky 6 degree offset on the rear sprockets - see this post. Don't know if that could be enough to cause the problem though.

And this post notes that this engine is sensitive to low compression and can be hard to start if that's the case.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Carnival 2.5L manual & 2000 Carnival Auto
320 Posts
what is current status of this?

What was max pressure difference between cylinders?

Using W50 engine oil instead of W30 may help in short-term.
Not recommended for long-term though.

What was the fuel pressue like - as asked before..

Was it an auto or manual?
And careful on that cranking.
Most of the tree starter motor types were weak as piss - and get hot quickly....
Stop immediately if a smell of electrical...

Check your air intake hoses and ducting as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts