Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2020 Kia Rio LX CVT hatchback
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can't figure out the problem, checked for brakes dragging on both wheels, swapped front wheels around

don't see anything damaged on the front or rear suspension, i didn't hit any curbs, tire pressure is good

· Registered
2017 Rondo LX 2.0L
364 Posts
If you have a scanner, check for speed sensors triggering the ABS

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after driving it all day today i can say the front brakes are definitely making a grinding noise when coming to a stop - but the brake pads are at least 2/3 new i double checked them....ill replace just in case to see what's going on in there maybe caliper sticking?

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no rotors are clean on both sides, pads have barely been replaced 3 months ago, those were the 2 first things i thought of. but obviously something isn't good since its making a grinding noise slowing down...car as cheap as this its easier to toss in new pads and go from there since im doing all the labor myself

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swapped brand new rotors and pads zero difference still pulls hard left so im going back to checking the bearings and tie rods on the left side as soon as these temps get above 30

could possibly be a sticking caliper as well but the old pads/rotors don't seem to indicate this

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
right outer tie rod is floppy....will replace both and go from there...hopefully thats the issue

the inner tie rods also kinda worry me but i don't know how to tell a bad one and they both feel the same

i also double checked all the wheels and there is no spinning resistance so i don't think brakes are the problem

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i installed the tie rods today - mostly uneventful but several suggestions

1) i marked the threads with a white paint pen but this was NOT enough - my steering wheel was 10* off when i finished
2) 2nd time taking it apart i took a thick metal tape measure and stretched it from one side of the wheel well to the other running across the top of the rotor - this way you can tell where the rotor is pointed - i would highly suggest doing this BEFORE you take anything apart and use a white pen to mark on the front wheel well plastic where the tape points MAKE SURE YOUR STEERING WHEEL IS DEAD CENTER
3) torque is listed as 22-33nm - i set mine at 26 i think

using the 2nd method i was able to adjust toe on both sides and got it pretty much perfect the 2nd time

it seems that this DID solve the hard pull to the left - although im 90% sure my inners are shot as well

regarding the quality of the new parts - the new cotter pin broke and one of the new castle nuts the threads completely stripped out of it as if it was made out of aluminium ...not very confidence inspiring

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive noticed since changing the outers that it turns a lot harder at slow speeds - is this because of the new stiffer tie rods or because I adjusted the toe-in?

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks like i rushed it with saying it wasn't pulling left anymore - it still is alot when I match the PSI on both sides

ill see if it improves after i do the inners

anyone know the size wrench you need to pull the inners?

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also I was able to think of an even better method to check alignment on the front wheels - with both wheels jacked up and removed, take a laser pointer with a sliding on/off switch and put it in the groove on the top of the rotors pointing toward the front - the red dot will show you exactly where your wheel is pointing and you can mark it from there and adjust toe

· Registered
2017 Rondo LX 2.0L
364 Posts
The fronts must also be adjusted in relation to the rears, other wise you end up dog tracking..

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im really stumped honestly - after i replaced the tie rods the car was driving straight....now tonight its back to pulling hard left...and i mean hard....so weird....im doing the inners this weekend but im almost wondering if the issue is somewhere else entirely

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also after thinking about this for some time i remembered back when we first got these cars the brake pads on the inner side were worn completely down to the metal on both cars but the outers were almost "new-thickness"

there also seems to be a lot brake dust on the passenger side so maybe I need to dig into the caliper again and make sure I didn't miss anything

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
does anyone know why the upper and lower caliper guide pins have completely different designs?

upper is on top, lower on bottom

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
things tried today - lubed slide pins and brake pads on LF

took off drum on LR to make sure nothing was sticking there

adjusted toe - 1 turn IN on LF, 2 turns out on RF...car steers a lot straighter

13mm open box wrench to adjust rods, no need to take off tire just jack up the wheel, use pliers to back up the locking nut

1 - 20 of 20 Posts