Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1999 Kia Sportage

Girlfriend was traveling home when all of a sudden the car began to decelerate even when throttle was applied. She mentioned the brakes going stiff and everything just dying. She managed to pull over to the side of the road.

I had a look and tried starting the car. It cranks fine and has a brand new starter motor so I assume I can rule out the alternator, battery and starter motor.

The car sounds like it's not firing in any of the cylinders. So I checked the fuel line and fuel is getting past the fuel filter without issues so I assume the fuel pump and filter are good.

I checked the fuses and the only one that is busted is the A/C which went out a while ago. I replaced it only for it to pop again so assumed the A/C was bust and never bothered to get it fixed.

Is there any reason why this car would just suddenly die without any warning and refuse to start?

Thank you.

EDIT: Dash lights and all electrical(s) work fine. Check engine light is also on and stays on when key is turned.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
Check your Timing/Cam belt. You did not mention the mileage on the car but with it being 1999 it is probably quite high... That belt should be replaced every 60k miles to prevent you from becoming stranded... Luckily this engine is a non-interference type engine...meaning if the belt breaks the valves and pistons do NOT meet and distruction does not take place...
A visual inspection of the top pulleys as you turn over the engine should show that they are not turning along with the lower crank pulley. Probably the belt either broke or the teeth have been sheered off and no longer pull the belt.
There is a lot of information posted in this area (1G) on her sportage and it has not been archived. Search for "timing belt".
Dave

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
651 Posts
I agree with the timing belt broken. I don't know if you can see a cam if you take off the oil cap, but if you can, shine a flashlight inside and if the cam isn't moving when you're trying to start it, then it's the timing belt for sure.

If it is the timing belt, make sure you do the idler pulley and tensioner pulley, along with the cam seals and front crankshaft seal (all three are the same seal), I would change the valve cover gasket as long as you are there. Finally, change the water pump. When doing this, make sure the cogs on the drive gear are the same number as the one your taking off. A SOHC water pump is the same except for the number of cogs and if installed, will last less than 500 miles and you will be changing the belt again.
UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes, the guy that towed the car home said it definitely sounds like the timing belt but said it was unlikely as it would have made a ping/bang sound so he ruled that out. However, if it is a non interference engine than this will not occur?

I have inquired elsewhere and others have said to also check the CAS and the ECU. Should I do this as well?

Car has about 200,000km on it. No idea when the last timing belt change was done. Had a timing belt kit installed in my other car which included the belt(s), pulleys and new water pump. Set me back almost $800 for a 1992 Mazda 626. Can I expect the same for this car or more or less?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yes, the guy that towed the car home said it definitely sounds like the timing belt but said it was unlikely as it would have made a ping/bang sound so he ruled that out. However, if it is a non interference engine than this will not occur?

I have inquired elsewhere and others have said to also check the CAS and the ECU. Should I do this as well?

Car has about 200,000km on it. No idea when the last timing belt change was done. Had a timing belt kit installed in my other car which included the belt(s), pulleys and new water pump. Set me back almost $800 for a 1992 Mazda 626. Can I expect the same for this car or more or less?
About the same - when I had a shop do the full T-Belt service on the '00 Sporty (2)? years ago, it ran about $775 total, KIA OEM parts & labor..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Another thing to check would be the main and fuel pump relays. I had an intermittent starting problem caused by one of those relays. My sporty's engine would turn over but not start as if it was not getting fuel and/or spark. Died on me a couple of times too with similar symptoms you mentioned.

For peace of mind and as an easy troubleshooting step, I'd replace both relays before tearing the engine apart. RockAuto sells OEM sourced Kia/Hyundai relays (they are the yellow ones) for $8 each.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts