Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I've got quite a weird issue here with my '17 EX Sportage, on some occasions nothing would happen when pushing on the start button.

It's not happening very often so far, about one or two occurrences every two weeks but when it happens it's very annoying, I keep trying for about 10 to 15 times until it decides to start

Once it happened to me at night and I could notice that when i was pressing the button the front lights were slightly dimmed for a second

I took it to the Kia service and they said they couldn't d anything as they weren't able to reproduce the issue and that there was no error codes stored, they advised me to use my spare key and see if it makes any change but the issue did happen again when using the spare key

I wonder if any Sportage owner had a similar issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Assuming you're pressing the brake firmly and holding it as previously suggested, I would be at the dealership. Especially if the the problem gets worse. You don't want to be stuck somewhere and the car won't start regardless of how many times you try.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You might need a brake pressure sensor which is activated when you press on the brake pedal. If it is defective, you can't start the car.
It could be the Neutral safety switch - the car won't start unless its in Park or Neutral so if its not making connection sometimes you can't start the car.
It could simply be the switch itself (start button).
One thing stood out to me and probably is giving us the answer - the lights dimmed but the starter did not crank the engine. This indicates to me that everything is working properly except the starter motor. The shop should look at that first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My wife took ours to the dealer for the same thing and it turns out the gas cap wasn't sealed 100%, so wipe yours off where it seals to the spout and turn it until it feels tight and see if it remedies the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ours kept not wanting to start too but would eventually after cranking (no check engine light yet) and after a few weeks and calls to the dealer it finally threw a code and we took it in the next day and that's what it was. They said it happens now and then with Kias due to sensitive sensors so I just keep the cap wiped off where it seals and haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a brand new 2020 Sportage SX Turbo and have only driven it 6 days. This morning I went out to start it and the brake pedal wouldn't depress, it was like someone had been pumping the brakes and needless to say, I couldn't get it to start with the push button. Frustrating, it did it once before a couple days ago but thought maybe it's me, I've only had it for less than a week. It's not me! What the heck. I paid a lot for this car to have all the options possible! Anyone know anything about this issue??

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
I have a brand new 2020 Sportage SX Turbo and have only driven it 6 days. This morning I went out to start it and the brake pedal wouldn't depress, it was like someone had been pumping the brakes and needless to say, I couldn't get it to start with the push button. Frustrating, it did it once before a couple days ago but thought maybe it's me, I've only had it for less than a week. It's not me! What the heck. I paid a lot for this car to have all the options possible! Anyone know anything about this issue??
My wife had this happen, and when I checked it appeared that the brake booster's stored vacuum had bled off making the pedal a lot firmer, and all it needed was more pressure on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife had this happen, and when I checked it appeared that the brake booster's stored vacuum had bled off making the pedal a lot firmer, and all it needed was more pressure on the brake pedal.
Thanks! I had to push so hard, it was kind of ridiculous getting the button to start the car. It didn't seem normal for the pressure to build up to that rigid a point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Kia Sportage EX AWD I bought it last September 2018 have 7,530 miles on it. Yesterday it wouldn’t start the brake pedal was very rigid I pushed the start button nothing. The turn signals worked windows would open and close. I had it towed using the
Kia roadside assistance to the dealer. I took a picture of the icons that stayed lit in the dash even though it didn’t start the battery and oil can lights in red on the left and on the right in amber the engine and key fob icons were lit. They called me this morning said they couldn’t re-create the problem nothing on the computer and it started right up for them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/
Thanks for the link I added the signature. I picked my car up this morning and no answer to what caused it not to start. The Service Advisor said if it happens again try to start it in neutral...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had this happened ( not starting) a few times this summer. Thought it was the battery getting old but experienced a problem with the starter...(see my newest post) hopefully this won't happen, but will update here as time progresses

1 - 15 of 15 Posts