Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is wrong but cant word it right to find info online.

automatic transmission
The car will shift to any gear without the key in and without the brake being depressed.

Just wondering what the fix for this is. Once I can word it right I am sure I can find it online but I must be using the wrong string of words I keep finding stuck in a gear not, able to go into any gear without key.

Thanks!

*edit*
Shift lock solenoid?

*edit again*
no fuses blown and my brake lights do work.
Car goes into gear fine.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I know this is wrong but cant word it right to find info online.

automatic transmission
The car will shift to any gear without the key in and without the brake being depressed.

Just wondering what the fix for this is. Once I can word it right I am sure I can find it online but I must be using the wrong string of words I keep finding stuck in a gear not, able to go into any gear without key.

Thanks!

*edit*
Shift lock solenoid?

*edit again*
no fuses blown and my brake lights do work.
Car goes into gear fine.
Greetings,

That would be my guess also - it's actually called "Actuator - Shift Lock" on the Sephia, kia part # 0k2a246at0 ... do a google search on that part#,

re: testing procedure, PM'd you the info,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had it checked out and they did not see anything wrong with shift lock solenoid. I dont know if they are right but figured theyve seen more than I have.

When testing myself and trying various things the metal arm does not seem to go as far as it should EVERY time, just most of the time. (so when you push your shift lever up, its little spot it trips on is missed so it does not want to go out of park)

Issue still persists.

A few times a month when turning off the car I have to turn it back on, put it in gear put back to park and then turn off again to remove the key.

Sometimes after starting the car you cant move the shifter from park. Which is odd considering normally you dont have to even depress the button to leave gear. (Wiggling it and trying over and over seems to fix it, if not, turning off car and restarting usually works)

Seeing as how I have no reverse lights as well, could it be whatever that switch/sensor is called? Neutral safety switch? I think thats the wrong name :( But its attached to the transmission relating to making my reverse lights work.

Still working on all of these issues and hoping to get my reverse lights to work as well.

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
988 Posts
Check on the User's Manual, because I think that is the way they are supposed to work; I bought my Sportage brand new and its automatic shift lever has always been free to be moved without turning the key or pressing the brake. Although mine is an Italian version and may differ from the US version, indeed on mine there is no emergency shift lever unlock button either.

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine has a shift lever unlock, in the manual it states a few "fail safes" that must be working in order for the car to be taken out of park or to start it.

(parking brake depressed to take it out of gear and a few others like the key must be in to take it out of park)

Normally its a standard safety feature so for instance your kid doesnt take the car out of park when you run into a store and nobody can just walk up, pop the car out of park and push it away.

Non US version probably does not have the same safety features :( Have not seen anyone have this issue without it being a simple fix as usually if one part goes out you cant take the car out of gear. (without using a screwdriver to unlock the shift lever)

Thank you for the response!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts