Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week just a week after a service my Ceed developed a weird fault, the passenger side electric window would open randomly for no reason and then would not close. It opened electrically (i.e it wound itself down) and had not fallen down or come off the mechanism. This electric window has previously been problematic for not opening and has had both the drives side and passengers side switch replaced to fix the problem.

It opened on the motorway for no reason in the pouring rain and I had to get the breakdown service out who dismantled the door wound the window up manually and disconnected the motor. It has now been in the dealers for a week now and while they can see the problem they cannot find the cure but the car is unusable with randomly opening windows, not impressed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In previous posts you claimed to know all the legal stuff so sue them.
There is no breach of contract so you cannot litigate, nor should one jump to litigation, it should be the last resort not the first.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Jeez mate, that's not good! I take it you've got a courtesy car while they (don't) carry out repairs?
Hope they find the root cause shortly, and you've got a nice ride to keep you dry for the moment.

SWCeed - that is neither constructive or called for.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeez mate, that's not good! I take it you've got a courtesy car while they (don't) carry out repairs?
Hope they find the root cause shortly, and you've got a nice ride to keep you dry for the moment.
Don't have a coutrtesy car but didn't ask for one as I thought it would only be a day or so. But we have two other cars so not a big problem. The problem is apparently an intermitent fault with the main electronic control unit (BCU) and unfortunately as I split my time between UK and France the car ended up in a French garage and the part is RHD specific so has has to be sent from Kia European HQ.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Oh Bugger on the part, but at least they've found the issue. At least they've stopped just guessing!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's got a lot worse! The car is still off the road after 3 weeks.

The part did not fix it and after investigation they have found that the section of the loom supplying the door has been cut and spliced together just before the sort of flexible pipe that goes into the door, this came apart and shorted out hence the problems. It could have been far worse. The UK supplying dealer who has also did all servicing and warranty work for the last 2 years claims no knowledge of why this should be the case. The whole loom section back into the engine bay needs to be replaced which it seems entails removing the dashboard. Worse still the part is not currently in stock centrally and we need to wait for it with no known delivery date.

Why the loom supplying the door should have been spliced seems to suggest either a previous bodged repair or that the door has been replaced. I bought the car as ex-demo with 1500 miles on the clock.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Sorry to hear of the on going problems..I personally would be happy if they found the harness/loom in a salvaged car (they don't wear out like tires/windshield(windscreen) wipers/blades). It's stupid to have to wait for a part like that.
I would really like to know how/and why this happened and how it got passed eyes (inspections)..Sounds like it may have been repaired AFTER leaving the factory...
I have had my right doors off of my 06 Spectra (Cerato) and just behind the door post there are plugs/sockets allowing the harness to be disconnected and the doors to be removed... Sounds like your splices are deeper behind the dash OR that someone hardwired (replaced the plug/socket with splices) the two (door/dash) harnesses together.... I'd bet if there was ANY pre-sale warranty work for door wiring... the dealer wanting KIA to pay them "something" has placed a claim for reimbursement and KIA would have records of that claim.
Dealers do not like doing ANYTHING for FREE.
Sounds like there may have been a problem with the plug/socket (intermittent) and the dealer "repaired" it so the car could be sold.
Dave

·
Registered
273 Posts
Most cars sold with 1500 miles on the clock are sold for a reason. Manufacturers normally require dealers use a demonstrator for much longer than 1500 miles to get the discount that a demonstrator attracts.

Many cars (and not just Kia's) that are sold as ex demonstrators or ex management are actually ex hire cars that have normally been on the road for 6 months or so. You can get a good one or one that has been abused, its the luck of the draw, Dad got a Primera some years ago that was near perfect except for a few parking dents that a smart repairer sorted before collection.

My guess would be your car was either in an accident and bodged or returned to the dealer because of a troublesome fault and the dealer bodged it to get it off the forecourt. Unfortunately it has come back to haunt you several years later.

Hopefully Kia will sort it but if they find evidence of a non Kia bodged fix you may end up with a big argument on your hands.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I went to the dealer I wanted an 2011 MY Ecodynammics (they had a higher spec that 2010) and they had only just come out so they were struggling to find one and I needed it at the end of Jan, so the one I bought one that was being used by one of the dealer staff. It was registered in Nov 10 and I bought it in Jan 11 so unlikely to be a rental and only had one owner on the reg doc which is the dealer. I cannot think why the loom has been spliced or any reason for it to be done unless the car had some none warranty work done on it. Yes, I am too concerned about Kia not claiming this was not a warranty issue and the moment that is not the case the current dealer is doing this under warranty.

I am suspecting an accident its the only sensible reason why a loom should be cut. Surely any warranty work will have been done properly but perhaps the dealer has claimed for a new loom section and then just done a quick bodge. I am going to contact Kia and ask for a full warranty history.

In the early 90s I bought a 6 month old ex-rental Montego and it was perfect but I was told it was ex-rental when I bought it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It looks to me like you were sold a car that had been badly repaired for some reason. The fact you bought it in the UK and now live in France is going to cause problems. If it were me I would be asking for a refund or a replacement car. You need to get some legal advice ASAP, there is no way you should be out of pocket or without a car due to being sold a right dog by all accounts. Your case will be against the garage of course.

Best of luck, could get expensive.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After 4 weeks got the car back ... unrepaired, just a temporary fix. I.e all electrics in passenger door inoperable. Apparently Kia are struggling to source the part and we have to wait for stock to be available.

Still being done under warranty.
It is now being said by the French Garage that they have been told that the reason the loom has been spliced (it was apparantly soldered) was because the loom was not available in the UK either when the problem was last attempted to be fixed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts