Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige Xline, Aruba Green Ext/Rust Int
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed not once but twice where it sounded like the Engine was still running after ignition & car turned off. It took maybe 2 or 3 minutes for it to totally turn off. I am not sure if something is defective or it could possibly be the radiator system & fan still running to cool the engine down since it's a turbo drive? Has any of you noticed this as well? Thanks! Jay

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,589 Posts
I've noticed my 2016's radiator fan keeps running for a few seconds after stopping the engine during hot summer days. Never in winter. But 2 to 3 min sounds excessive. I would def bring it to the dealer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've noticed my 2016's radiator fan keeps running for a few seconds after stopping the engine during hot summer days. Never in winter. But 2 to 3 min sounds excessive. I would def bring it to the dealer.
It was not even hot out, maybe 65 degrees or so when it happened. The first time it happened I kept thinking I left the car on but everything was off.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Coolant being pumped around the turbo maybe. Certainly my Fiat does this.

·
Registered
21 SORRENTO SX W/PRESTIGE PKG FWD
6 Posts
Happened to me last night. Going to call the dealer on Monday and see what they say.

·
Registered
'21 Prestige SX
17 Posts
Good idea to check to the dealer. Doesn't sound to normal, I have another turbo i4 of another brand and sometimes the there will be a like a fan sound after I turn off. But 3 mins seems a bit excessive. I think it mainly has to do with the turbine as regular engines don't have this.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige/X-Line
40 Posts
Today I noticed not once but twice where it sounded like the Engine was still running after ignition & car turned off. It took maybe 2 or 3 minutes for it to totally turn off. I am not sure if something is defective or it could possibly be the radiator system & fan still running to cool the engine down since it's a turbo drive? Has any of you noticed this as well? Thanks! Jay
Did you ever get a solid answer to this? Mine does this too and it sounds like a fan running, doing a cooling operation. It also happened when I left the engine running to do the long software install.

I heard it get loud and went out and gave it some gas, which made it get quiet again, but when the update was done, I heard a fan running for a couple of minutes and it stopped. I haven't heard it since.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
619 Posts
I've had other makes where the electric fan ran for several minutes after shutdown, I suspect it's normal. I haven't had occasion to get my Sorento hot enough for that to happen.

FWIW, you don't need to run the engine for the software update, I just turned on the ignition and made sure everything like heat and headlights were off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had other makes where the electric fan ran for several minutes after shutdown, I suspect it's normal. I haven't had occasion to get my Sorento hot enough for that to happen.

FWIW, you don't need to run the engine for the software update, I just turned on the ignition and made sure everything like heat and headlights were off.
Thanks. It was my first go round with Kia software, so I followed the instructions. With Sync I used to toss it in Accessory mode and do it that way.

I'll do it that way next time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Apparently, all they're worried about is running down the battery. As long as there's nothing like lights or heater fans running, the battery drain for just the ignition turned on is only a few amps. The battery will last hours with that amount of power drain. I thought about hooking up my battery charger, but decided it was not really needed. I didn't really have any place I needed to go that was far enough away to get it done while driving. It's way more convenient to do the update in the garage than leaving the engine running half an hour or more. :)

I don't know if accessory mode will work, I noticed my 2020 Sorento times out in accessory mode and turns things off after 10-15 minutes. I was sitting in the car waiting for someone and listening to the radio when it shut down on it's own, that wouldn't be good in the middle of an update.

My last update took 20-25 minutes, I had my alarm set for half an hour to go check. As I was heading for the garage my wife asked me why the radio was playing in my car. Once the update was done the radio went back to normal operation.

I've actually been more impressed with the navigation in this car, older cars with navigation had lousy performance, poor map updates, and generally weren't worth bothering with. This car I can actually use the navigation and trust it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently, all they're worried about is running down the battery. As long as there's nothing like lights or heater fans running, the battery drain for just the ignition turned on is only a few amps. The battery will last hours with that amount of power drain. I thought about hooking up my battery charger, but decided it was not really needed. I didn't really have any place I needed to go that was far enough away to get it done while driving. It's way more convenient to do the update in the garage than leaving the engine running half an hour or more. :)

I don't know if accessory mode will work, I noticed my 2020 Sorento times out in accessory mode and turns things off after 10-15 minutes. I was sitting in the car waiting for someone and listening to the radio when it shut down on it's own, that wouldn't be good in the middle of an update.

My last update took 20-25 minutes, I had my alarm set for half an hour to go check. As I was heading for the garage my wife asked me why the radio was playing in my car. Once the update was done the radio went back to normal operation.

I've actually been more impressed with the navigation in this car, older cars with navigation had lousy performance, poor map updates, and generally weren't worth bothering with. This car I can actually use the navigation and trust it.
Look at it this way... if you are able to shut the car off with the update still running then it is ok because it is a feature purposely put in. When I had fords, the Sync system would require the car to keep running. If you shut the car off, the update stops as well.

Agreed about the NAV system, it;s great. The UVO system in general is great. I've experienced both Ford & Nissan systems and this is by far better all around.

·
Registered
40 Posts

So educate me here. What is turning it on vs. accessory mode?

Two taps of the the start button with a key fob present was what I was calling accessory mode.

What would I do to actually turn it on, without running the engine?

·
Registered
619 Posts
"turning on" means that all the stuff like oil, alternator, etc. light up in the instrument cluster. Yes, it's two presses of the button without your foot on the brake.

·
Registered
40 Posts
"turning on" means that all the stuff like oil, alternator, etc. light up in the instrument cluster. Yes, it's two presses of the button without your foot on the brake.
That's what I called accessory mode on Sync...

Right mode, wrong terminology.

Thank you.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Cars used to have an accessory mode that really just ran the accessories, so it's confusing. Nowadays, to keep it on for an indefinite time, it appears you have to fire up everything. :) Our 2013 Nissan Rogue has keyless operation but a real accessory setting that doesn't turn on the ignition, lights, etc. It seems that the newer Kia models just revert to "saving" the battery by timing you out after a few minutes unless you've turned everything on. I'm wondering if it's the AGM battery technology, apparently they die if discharged too far.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX+ 2.5L turbo AWD
4 Posts
Hi all, brand new here. I just got a new 2021 sorento EX+ drove it off the lot on saturday. last night my wife and i were sitting in it playing with settings while the car was on ( engine running )
when we were done, i shut off the car , locked it and exited. yes it sounded like something was running (fan,or pump?) but it was VERY loud. as loud as a portable generator. after a minute or two it stopped.
it seems many here have expericed the same but can someone comment on the inteisity and general loudeness of the sound ?

Thank you

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'd bet money and give you odds that it's the radiator fan. Easy to check, next time you get it thoroughly warmed up just pop the hood and see what's running.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX 2.5L Turbo AWD
1 Posts
I also have a 2021 Kia Sorento SX Turbo and it happened to me this morning. I turned off the ignition and got out of the car and it sounded like the engine was still running so I got back into my car to make sure I turned off the car and it was off. It turned off itself after a minute or two. I called Kia service and they told me it's normal and it's just a fan running.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I called Kia service and they told me it's normal and it's just a fan running.
Yep, the radiator fan. It runs on a thermostat after the car is off to keep the coolant from boiling off.

Didn't you ever get told if the car radiator temperature climbs due to a heavy load and high temperatures to turn off A/C, stop, and allow the car to idle? That allows the radiator fan to cool the water with no load. The electric fan allows the car's electronics to do that for you. :)

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX+ 2.5L turbo AWD
4 Posts
I also have a 2021 Kia Sorento SX Turbo and it happened to me this morning. I turned off the ignition and got out of the car and it sounded like the engine was still running so I got back into my car to make sure I turned off the car and it was off. It turned off itself after a minute or two. I called Kia service and they told me it's normal and it's just a fan running.
Thanks for the response, I do beleive the rad fan running after the car has been idling for at least half hour is normal - what struck me was the loudness of the fan - it was VERY loud, with a rattle sound to it. as loud as a small generator. nothing that loud should be coming out of a car. i tried to recreate the noise yesterday (i sat in the car for hal an hhour and let it idle) but i was not able to replicate the noise. the rad fan was running after shut off as per normal.

Anyways im taking the car to the dealer in half hour , maybe they can see why the fan was so noisy.

i tried to upload a 10 second video to this site but somehoe it doesnt accept any video formats - mods please look into this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts