Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 8valve engine kia rio losses power when i put on the A/C and especially when driving in hilly areas. it cant even climb minor hills with ease. unless i shift to the 1st gear. any help as to what is happening?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
yawggh...
Welcome to kia-forums!
I see you are in Ghana and we don't have any info on the drive train in your RIO.
How about filling us in on the engine (gas/diesel), (size in L), (mileage), (does it have a Catalytic Converter?),(things you have tried),(manual/Automatic tranny) ....
Then we may be able to help you better...
Dave

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Like dave say's, please fill out your profile some more. Anyhow look for a cat problem or fuel/intake/vacuum problem's somewhere and keep us posted here. We are here to help if we can. Good luck, Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's a petrol engine, does have a catalytic convertor, manual transmission. i was told to change plugs and ignition wires, after that i saw some improvement but the car still lacks that power to pull.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car originally came from canada with a 16valve engine but the timing broke and had to replace the engine but couldnt get the 16valve to buy but the 8valve engine was available on the market so the mechanic fixed the 8valve engine. i am not too sure about the engine capacity.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
You have a FrankenKIA (based upon Frankenstein)...Because we don't know what year it was made and what year engine was put in as a replacement... The "brains" (the ECM, engine control module) probably doesn't know HOW to control the replacement engine correctly and the ECM is in "limp" mode...
I'd bet sensors are not connected or connected improperly and things just won't work right...
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys at least now I know where to start from. I believe the cat convertor may be clogged. I will consider the others too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts