Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some ppl mention that in some other topic, so I figured I would start a topic about this. I know my car does it, when I unlock the doors with the keyless remote, after about a minute or so it locks itself back.... When I noticed that I figured it was a security feature, for exemple if you unlock your car to go in, but then something happends and you forget to lock it back, it does it for you. I dont think it's an issue but some ppl seem to think it's a problem. As long as you get in your car right after you unlock it shouldn't be a problem.

So if everyone that owns an optima wants to test this out, it would be nice to see if every car does it or if it's random.

:banana:

·
Registered
car
4,198 Posts
My Optima didnt come with keyless entry. I had it installed so the aftermarkert entry system doesnt to this but my Sorento did do this and my Spectra does do it. I believe every keyless entry system that comes stock with kias will lock its self after a minute if left unintended.

·
Registered
2008 Rondo V6 2002 Sedona
67 Posts
I just had my Optima fixed for the second time with this issue. The power locks use grounding of the electrical current to lock the doors. If the wire insulation gets rubbed off, binded wires, etc so the wire grounds to the car, it locks itself. Its a common problem according to the Kia tech, and it takes to fix it either removing the fuse and using manual locks, or having a tech take apart the doors (it could be either front door causing it, in mine they did one then they replaced both locking mechanisms and wiring) and fixing it. I doubt this is a do it yourself project, hopefully yours is still under warranty :)
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi MAD, just checked our 04 Optima and it does what you said, guess it is built in the system and I think it is great. My understanding is, if you put your key in the ign switch, then it will not lock itself back :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 04 Optima with such function, the door will lock if you unlock with the remote control after left for about 1 min. The fuction help to avoid the car being unlock when the remote control button being press unintentionally.

Another good feature in built with the door lock system is all the doors will lock when you press the break pedal. The function will not perform when one of the doors did not closed properly. I'm using this as an added feature to help me to check and ensure all doors closed, especially with kids in the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its a good little feature... but just dont do what i did, in a complete act of stupidity i locked my keys in the boot and after a minute of throwing a tantrum i remembered the car was unlocked but just as i reached for the door handle it auto locked...... i was 30 minutes away from civilization.

SMART!!!

·
Registered
car
4,198 Posts
Originally posted by Optima2004@Sep 21 2005, 10:30 PM
Its a good little feature... but just dont do what i did, in a complete act of stupidity i locked my keys in the boot and after a minute of throwing a tantrum i remembered the car was unlocked but just as i reached for the door handle it auto locked...... i was 30 minutes away from civilization.

SMART!!!
That sucks. How did you eventually get back in the car?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts