Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had very good luck with my 98 sephia, until recently. The car began to studder like it was missing or something and the engine will shake violently while at red lights. If I put it into park at that point the engine will rev really high! I have changed the plugs (with Kia plugs) and the coils and plug wires. The engine still behaves this way, only not as much. When I first installed new plugs I used autolites and the local dealer said that they will not work in a Kia so he sold me a set from their part department. I have also replaced the fuel filter and the air filter, etc...Any help? :(

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by Volusia@Feb 22 2005, 06:34 PM
I have had very good luck with my 98 sephia, until recently. The car began to studder like it was missing or something and the engine will shake violently while at red lights. If I put it into park at that point the engine will rev really high! I have changed the plugs (with Kia plugs) and the coils and plug wires. The engine still behaves this way, only not as much. When I first installed new plugs I used autolites and the local dealer said that they will not work in a Kia so he sold me a set from their part department. I have also replaced the fuel filter and the air filter, etc...Any help? :(
is the check engine light on?
i say throttle position sensor! but go to autozone and get the ecu scanned (obd2 test) and get the codes. it will tell you what is wrong. or post them here we can help with the codes.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey my car shakes a lot too, when i am crusing at low speeds and when i stop at the lights. i went to tires plus by my job and the guy told me that he was shure it was the motor mounts and that it wold cost about $550 to fix it. and he says its pretty comon on my model. but i am not convinced, cause the ccheck light is on and it flashes when you start driving it. i am going to get a second opinion today after work and i will post. what worries me is that i cant stop driving it cause i have no money to fix it and i have to go to work, any thoughts on this? i need all the help i can get. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the check engine light was on. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was a misfire code and to replace the plugs. I did but I still have the problem of high revs, only not as often.

I do not think it is a motor mount issue. They look compressed but not too bad. A mount would not cause the check engine light to come on and the cyclinder to misfire.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Originally posted by Volusia@Feb 23 2005, 02:31 PM
Yes the check engine light was on. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was a misfire code and to replace the plugs. I did but I still have the problem of high revs, only not as often.

I do not think it is a motor mount issue. They look compressed but not too bad. A mount would not cause the check engine light to come on and the cyclinder to misfire.
i hope they replaced the plug wires to!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
then it must the same thing its happening to me. is the motor mounts. it makes the car shake, wjen you hit tha gas i takes i couple of seconds to go and it shaked some sensor of so that is y you had the light on for the chek ingen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
speedrock, The motor mounts were checked and are good. The isn't shaking due to mounts, it is shaking due to rough idle, and misfiring. It also revs high, a mount would not cuase this problem. Thanks for the info though, I'll keep a closer eye on the mounts, I didn't know that it was a common problem.

·
Registered
'01 Sephia (AT)
6 Posts
Hey all.

I know this is an older thread, but I'd like to revive it.

Has anyone found a standard method of attack on this problem? An order of operations? Or, maybe, even a dead-on solution?

I'm having the same troubles. Came out of nowhere, as I went to accel. Asking around, I've heard everything from intake to sensors to plugs to distributor (and cap)...

It's so bad, that I cant get it in for a code check without a tow.. And who really wants to shell out more cash when it's probably fixable at home?

Bought a copy of the service manual, but nothing relating to this.

Any input would be greatly valued.

Thanks.

-Matic.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
First whomever told you it could be the distributor cap knows nothing.
98-01 sephias are distributorless. its uses a coil ignition system.
thats not the problem.

instead of getting a tow have a friend bring you to advanced auto or the like go in ask to use their obd2 code reader. you can bring it home just have to give them a deposit that you get back when you return the code reader.

without the code its hard to diagnose the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts