Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While i was driving my 97 sephia the car just turned off on me , i just noticed the oil,check engine, and other lights near dash were on. I pulled over to side and car turned on again. It happen a couple of times.. Also sometimes when i start car it dies really fast like it not getting enough gas or something.. Some it stays idle but then shuts off. im not to good would cars. I just wanna solve this problem.. THank You...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Does it run OK at other times? If not I will start with a basic tune-up if the car hasn't had one recently. That would be sparkwires/plugs, air filter. If you get a check engine light scan it at autozone and that would be where I will start. Does it start right away without any difficulty?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it start up right away. It will turn on and shut off. It idles rough then shuts off. Can it be a Mass air flow sensor. No check engine light is on. Thanks Robert

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car has 37k original miles. Tune up was down on Dec 04 from previous owner. Did oil change recently and radiator was changed and flushed. O2 sesnors were changed. Brand new plugs, wireset. It just turns on then turns off but it fires back up.. Happens once in a while.. Would like to solve probelm.... Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have your distributor checked. You might be able to tell if is bad also by looking for oil in it or around it. They are known to have bad distributors. Also if you need a distributor buy a mazda one they are about $200.00 cheaper and it's the very same one

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks... What kind of distributor should i be looking for from a mazada.. My 97 sephia is a 1.8... Can it be a sensor? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am not sure whats happening. You might have a simple problem such as a bad ground connection. I wouldn't go crazy changing every part on the car. Your fuel pump might be in the gas tank, labor intensive to change and might not be necessary. Sometimes its better to take it to a mechanic that knows his stuff. You will pay more but I am not sure if your approach will save you money. I am broke, but sometimes I pay a premium for good service and I have to live with the fact that I can not do everything myself. For part prices try AUtozone.com ; advanceautoparts.com etc, also call around, sometimes dealer parts aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank YOu for your time.I will first do i tune up and see what happens then. THanks Alot. I will keep you informed with the status of the car. Thank You..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts