Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 EX Sorento V-6 Bright Silver
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife called me the other day from work and told me the car ( 2011 Sorento EX ) wouldn't start, I ask her to try to get a jump from someone she knew. Well to make a long story short, she finally got home and stopped the car and you guess it, the car would not start. Call my local KIA dealership and they said it might be a brake switch because they we having problems with them. She took it in and they fixed the switch but they also said the battery was low, so my wife told them to go ahead and replace the battery. I guess my question is why this car with only 24,000 miles and 26 months old needs a new battery? I have an old 2002 Acura with 109,000 miles and only had to replace the battery's 3 times. I hope I don't have to replace a battery every 2 years. Personal I don't think they use a very good battery. Has anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Was the battery low because it was dead or the brake switch bad and didn't engage the starter ? ?
Usually a jump will start the car right up. A bad switch (which was in the 2010 models) will kill the starter all together. Interior lights, stereo, headlight will work.
The 2011 models had "bad contacts" in a section of the starting system that made for "no start" situations. That's what the dealer said in my case of two "no starts".
You are "suppose to" be able to press the start button for 15 sec and bypass the brake pedal... It's buried in the manual. Had to show that section to the dealer.
See if something is draining the battery, or you could have had a bad battery or the dealer took ya. Especially at the dealer price of the battery and install.
COULD be a bad battery

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX
33 Posts
I just had this problem this week. My Sorento was having issues starting and I traced it to the battery. I mean the battery was soo weak that if I left a door or the hatch open for 5 minutes (to unload things) it wouldn't start. I would put it on a charger for like 20-30 minutes and it would start fine. That dealer said the battery was no longer under warranty but would be happy to sell me a new one, I passed on that and bought my own aftermarket. I don't know for sure but I've heard the factory batteries doesn't last very long and when they go replace them with aftermarket that has a good warranty.

BTW - my sorento is a 2011 with 35k on it and since replacing battery I have had 0 issues **knock on wood**

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I just had this problem this week. My Sorento was having issues starting and I traced it to the battery. I mean the battery was soo weak that if I left a door or the hatch open for 5 minutes (to unload things) it wouldn't start. I would put it on a charger for like 20-30 minutes and it would start fine. That dealer said the battery was no longer under warranty but would be happy to sell me a new one, I passed on that and bought my own aftermarket. I don't know for sure but I've heard the factory batteries doesn't last very long and when they go replace them with aftermarket that has a good warranty.

BTW - my sorento is a 2011 with 35k on it and since replacing battery I have had 0 issues **knock on wood**
Agreed on going aftermarket for a battery replacement. Dealer battery prices are pretty outrageous, regardless of the car brand.

Best,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts