Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, Nice Forum here.

This is my first post.

I've had the check engine light lit on my sportage for a while now. A 'friend' of mine said he knows how to read them and started jumping wires on my diagnostic plug (under the bonnet one). Now the car won't start at all. We've tested most of the components and they're all live - fuel pump etc... None of the fuses have blown and all the relays are working. I'm thinking he's fried the ECU

Any ideas

Thank You

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry to here that. I would have just taken it to a local AutoZone or somewhere similar that will read it and tell you what code it is. Then just come back here and we can let you know what it translates too in english.

Hopefully, someone can come up with an answer to your above question.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
That's not good. If you've checked all of the fuses, then I'd say that the ECU is probably garbage. The data wire going to the ECU from the Diagnostic connectors isn't fused. It also goes to the TCM, so I hope that's not damaged too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi.
Since 1996 it is not possible to read engine code by trying to jump wires from
the Diagnostic connectors. It MUST be read with a code reader.
Sorry, but i thing now you have an other problem, the ECU is burned and it cost
some hundred box to replace.

On modern vehicules you must need to know what you ara doing,it could save a lot money.

I see someone for a defective back up light switch on a FORD truck, i have to change the ECU because he jumped therminals from the switch connector.

I hope it is not the same but ........

mecano

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by MECANO@Dec 3 2005, 10:28 PM
Hi.
Since 1996 it is not possible to read engine code by trying to jump wires from
the Diagnostic connectors. It MUST be read with a code reader.
Sorry, but i thing now you have an other problem, the ECU is burned and it cost
some hundred box to replace.

On modern vehicules you must need to know what you ara doing,it could save a lot money.

I see someone for a defective back up light switch on a FORD truck, i have to change the ECU because he jumped therminals from the switch connector.

I hope it is not the same but ........

mecano

That is true in North America. Since 1996 all vehicles are OBD-II compliant and require a code reader to readout the 4 digit diagnostic trouble codes. But this is NOT true in other countries. Some areas stayed OBD-I well until 2000 or 2001. Depends upon country.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by mhenry9885@Dec 2 2005, 09:11 AM
Hello All, Nice Forum here.

This is my first post.
I've had the check engine light lit on my sportage for a while now. A 'friend' of mine said he knows how to read them and started jumping wires on my diagnostic plug (under the bonnet one). Now the car won't start at all. We've tested most of the components and they're all live - fuel pump etc... None of the fuses have blown and all the relays are working. I'm thinking he's fried the ECU

Any ideas
Thank You
What year did the UK go OBD-II compliant? If your Sportage is OBD-II chances are your "friend" DID toast your ECM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All,

I replaced the ECU today with an identical one and it still won't start, it's just cranking over and over... The check engine remains lit.

Could jumping the wrong wires at the diagnostic plug have caused the TDC sensor to die?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
Thats odd... what kind do you have? I know that Actron makes an OBD II code reader that will check it without the engine running. If it was running you could just putter it into the local autoparts store and they would be able to pull the code for you. But as for now, that ACTRON OBD II reader is your best bet

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all,

I've just found out my car isn't OBD II compliant so i can't get the codes.

I've just checked my plugs and there is no spark coming off any of them.

Is there anything else I could check for malfunctions??

Thanks

Also, somebody earlier said the TCM could be damaged, what is one of these?

Sorry for sounding dumb

Thanks Again

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
Well... if you can somehow get ahold of an OBD I diagnostics tester you could retrieve the code. But if your ECM truly is fried it might give you a bunk code and not tell you whats really wrong with it. Ive never had to deal with such a feat, and you know if you take it to a dealer they may very well get what they can out of you and you may still end up with a lemon because the ECM might not be the only thing damaged. And your TCM? Im not familiar with that term... perhaps someone else is here

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
I dont think that it has a crank sensor, I believe it uses a cam sensor for ignition timing. You should be able to see it if you look behind the valve cover on the exhaust manifold side, its tucked back between the valve cover and the firewall so its not too easy to get to, but thats where its at

·
Registered
349 Posts
The engine has both a camshaft position sensor and a crankshaft position sensor. Both are required to be operating to get an ignition pulse from the ECM.

You can check for spark via this method. Pry off the rubber plug on the plastic cover that covers the plug wires and coils. Attach an inductive clamp timing light to the number 1 plug wire. Crank the engine. If the timing light flashes you have spark and your problem is something else. If no flash for some reason the ECM is not pulsing the coils.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I replaced the Crankshaft Sensor today and it isn't that.

Is there any way of testing the Camshaft Position Sensor?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Righty Then

I've changed the following sensors:

Camshaft Position
Crankshaft Position
Knock Sensor
Air Flow Sensor

Still No Joy.

I've just noticed that if I unplug the 2 wire pickup from the ignition switch to the immobiliser, the check engine light comes on then goes off whereas previously it stayed on constantly.

Could it be the immobiliser preventing the engine starting? and if so is there anything I can do? i.e. bypass it somehow

Are the immobiliser units interchangable between vehicles?

Thanks Guys

1 - 20 of 22 Posts