Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
09 Rondo EX 7 seater 4 cyl
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday when my wife arrived at our 09 Rondo EX (moved with us from Canada) she found the alarm going off. The car alarm had been armed but we do not think anyone tried to steal the vehicle, or bumped it, based on parking lot location.

This morning at a kid's birthday party the Rondo decided to start beeping on the street again. Argh. I disarmed it and relocked the car from the keyfob, left the sunroof partially open due to heat, but did not re-arm. A half hour later the car alarm was honking again.

It has behaved fine in our garage Friday overnight and today during day. Any ideas beyond just pulling the fuse? I'm not thrilled with the prospect of taking a phantom honker to the dealership here.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
490 Posts
You might check the battery. A lot of times an alarm will go off when your battery is getting low.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery is original, so the thought had crossed my mind. I had heard a dying battery can set off car alarms, but I'm not sure how that works. Starts fine, not sluggish though. No signs of battery issue otherwise.

This afternoon at a store I could not arm the car. Hmm. When I returned to our house, I still could not arm it. I opened and closed all the windows and the sunroof and tried again. Nope. All the doors were closed. I opened and closed the hatch and tried again. Nope. Then opened and closed the rear passenger door and tried again. Nope. Passenger door. Yes.

I am suspicious that the passenger door catch mechanism might need to be greased. If its sticky and spring loaded, the car might not be locking properly, perhaps triggering the alarm as door components heat up in the sun. Not sure.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I would check all the sensors, mechanisms in the doors etc. If one is sticking and not fully opening or closing it could be setting it off.

Also, could be faulty or damaged wiring or a connection somewhere, possibly related to water or moisture? My wife had a VW Beetle that had the alarm keep going off, once at 3am, I had to run down 3 flights of stairs with my socket set, open the hood, disconnect the battery to get it to stop. I'm sure our neighbors must have LOVED us that night, went off 3 times before I realized I had to go disconnect the battery to make it stop.

It ended up being a faulty connection in the trunk, water and moisture was getting in and ended up rusting/corroding the connection in the trunk, and it made the alarm system think it was being breached, the electrical connection being stopped and made it go off randomly. Now that we realized what happened, we realized it happened most when it rained, or was really moist out, foggy etc, or sudden temp drops over night etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: The places where I could not set alarm occurred after short drives where alternator did not have chance to recharge the battery. I got out my multimeter and found the battery was not holding a charge well, just OK. It was the original battery (09 Rondo, probably manufactured in fall 08, so 4.5 years ish OEM part).

I dropped by an auto parts store and they tested the charging system; it was fine. I dropped $100 on a replacement battery, suspicious that the alarm system is sensing a voltage drop if the battery is not holding a charge as well as it used to.

It's been two weeks, and no problems since. Who knows?

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
490 Posts
Awesome! Hope that ends up being the culprit! 4.5 years from an original battery doesn't seem too bad to me, probably about time to go ahead and throw a new battery in anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Just over a year later, problem resumes, in spring/summer as last year. Car alarm goes off for no rhyme or reason, often late morning or mid-day. I finally took it to dealer and asked to have factory alarm deactivated.

Unexpectedly, the mechanic found that the threads in the mount for the hood pin switch were stripped. There is a small $10 pin switch under the hood that detects when the hood is opened. The pin switch was loose in the holder. We surmised when the hood heats in the sun, the expanding metal causes the connection to go bad. He simply disconnected the pin switch, and no more issues!

The alarm is now fully functional again (except for alarming the hood).

·
Registered
2009 Kia Rondo
1 Posts
Update: Just over a year later, problem resumes, in spring/summer as last year. Car alarm goes off for no rhyme or reason, often late morning or mid-day. I finally took it to dealer and asked to have factory alarm deactivated.

Unexpectedly, the mechanic found that the threads in the mount for the hood pin switch were stripped. There is a small $10 pin switch under the hood that detects when the hood is opened. The pin switch was loose in the holder. We surmised when the hood heats in the sun, the expanding metal causes the connection to go bad. He simply disconnected the pin switch, and no more issues!

The alarm is now fully functional again (except for alarming the hood).
Thank you very much Rondo Park! I just purchased a used 2009 Kia Rondo EX and I was curious as to why the alarm horn would not sound when I pressed the lock button on the keyless remote. I disconnected the hood pin switch and everything now works including the lights and horn when I use the keyless remote to lock the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts