Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX 3.3 AWD, 2009 Kia Rondo EX
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an issue like this?

Have 7/8ths of a tank and can't put anymore in, the pump shuts off and wont allow me to add fuel.... Get 20 cents in and it turns off, another 20 and off.... Figure the fuel neck has a collapsed or has a blockage thats pushing the fuel in the neck back to the pump nozzle and leads it into thinking its full?

Sounds like a costly fix... Went to 2 different stations, same issue...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the more i read about it the more it sounds like it could also be the evap charcoal canister... Which is easy enough to clean and apparently can cause poor gas mileage/stuttering, so hey maybe that will increase mileage aswell... Heres hoping its just the evap canister, my mechanic won't charge to fix!/clean.... Either way can't put fuel in the truck until its fixed :/

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
791 Posts
Maybe there's some ice in there?

Did you try pouring in some "gas line antifreeze"?

Richard

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not, our temps have been above freezing the past couple days... I believe the tank was over filled at the service station last week (full serve), the attendant said he filled it up good.... So gotta wonder if fuel didn't make it into the vent tube/canister... We shall see :)

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,053 Posts
Sorry to hear of this latest "quirk"...I will never go to "full service" pumps for this reason. A lot of today's vehicles and Kia's in particular are NOT meant to be "topped off" after initial fill of normal fueling. It sends that "extra" fuel directly into the EVAP system and DOES cause problems as you're finding out. I hope that it does turn into an easy "clean out" for you, as I'm not familiar with the "layout" of the parts location on your ride.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
519 Posts
Most likely the vent tube which is near the top of the filler somewhere is blocked or restricted to all the tank to break. Getting at it and disconnecting the hose maybe need to see if it helps.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento v6 AWD
9 Posts
Sorry to hear of this latest "quirk"...I will never go to "full service" pumps for this reason. A lot of today's vehicles and Kia's in particular are NOT meant to be "topped off" after initial fill of normal fueling. It sends that "extra" fuel directly into the EVAP system and DOES cause problems as you're finding out. I hope that it does turn into an easy "clean out" for you, as I'm not familiar with the "layout" of the parts location on your ride.
This is correct, what you are experiencing sounds pretty normal. You should only fill your tank until the nozzle shuts itself off. Trying to force more in to your tank can cause liquid gas into the EVAP system, damaging it.
Drive until you have a half tank, then try refueling and see if you have an issue with gas going into the tank.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
226 Posts
7/8 a tank means there is room for an additional 8+ liters or 2+ US Gal. Can you nurse that extra fuel into the tank slowly, or does it absolutely not take any more fuel. Could be your fuel gauge is reading 1/8 a tank low. Does fuel flow freely for the first 7/8 tank, if so it looks like venting may not be the cause. As far as fille line collapse, the filler tube is metal w/flexable coupling at the metal to tank end, there is not any long section the fuel line can collapse. As far as canister, there are valves inside the tank that 'should' prevent raw fuel from entering the canister. Raw fuel entering the canister could be caused by a defective valve, but should not effect venting when filling.

Unfortunately only way to prove sender is accurate would be to run the tank empty and then see how much fuel it takes to get to 7/8.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I normally don't use full service, for reasons like this... i was 5hrs in on a roadtrip and didn't want to wait the extra half hour in the busy line, i just wanted to get home- lesson learned...

As suggested i did run to half tank and it refilled just fine... here's hoping not too much damage was done :(

·
Registered
Sorento 2015 LX 2.4 AWD, Suzuki 2011 SX4 AWD, ( 2000 KIA Sportage, junked)
436 Posts
According to my user manual, fuel tank capacity is 66 litres/17.4 US gallons....making 13.3 US gallons (which ,I suppose, are OBD Fusion units.. ) only 76% .....barely over 3/4......so which of the above numbers is totally accurate ???
When I fill up, the needle goes up to FULL....even just a bit past full. ANd I stop the fillup as soon as it stops by itself. However I have never figured out exactly the quantity from totally empty to full....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly not sure, will fill up tonight and run the obd fusion app again and see what it calculates it at.... The guage is all over the place tho, honestly, i will fill it up and it'll sit on the full line and then drop and go back up beyond the line after driving 5km... It's bizarre to me to be honest, just assumed it was another sorrento quirk lol

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,401 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem with a Santa Fe Hyundai. Eventually I couldn't even put any gas in the car. I took it to Hyundai and they said you should NEVER fully fill the tank. When the lever clicks it is full and stop pumping. The fix was I needed a new fuel tank and lots of other stuff. I chose to buy a new Kia Sorento and have never over filled. After 8 years of NO problems I traded that in for a new Kia Sportage.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage, 2014Kia Soul
7 Posts
And the more i read about it the more it sounds like it could also be the evap charcoal canister... Which is easy enough to clean and apparently can cause poor gas mileage/stuttering, so hey maybe that will increase mileage aswell... Heres hoping its just the evap canister, my mechanic won't charge to fix!/clean.... Either way can't put fuel in the truck until its fixed :/

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sportage, 2014Kia Soul
7 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my 2002 kia sportage. Pulled out charcoal canister and blew it out with an air hose. Worked for a bit. About the 3rd time the charcoal was just pouring out. Finally broke down and bought a new canister. solved that problem. that was 2 or 3 yrs. ago. Still no problems and 280, 000 miles on it. Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts