Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sorrento
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in for CA smog test for new car registration today and the car would not test. Reason? there has to be a 2 stage idle test. So they need to run the engine at 2500 rpm for 30 seconds to get the test. Doesnt work. When the car is in park, and the engine is revved, the computer knows the car isnt moving, so it automatically throttles down the engine to idle, within about 7-10 seconds. Impossible to get a read that way. SO, how can I get my new car registered in the 15 day window without incurring fees from the state of CA? How do I get the car smogged?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
I can confirm that my Korean built 2012 CRDI can be revved for more than a minute when in the neutral (or in the park with the brake pedal depressed).

Don't know about the NA V6 or the GDI.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
this is a very interesting topic

i'll have to remind myself these tips 7 years down the road

we don't need smog test for brand new cards, only when the car is order than 7 year

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX AWD CRDI; 2007 Sportage EX CRDi 4WD; 1967 Mercedes 250S; 1958 DKW 3=6
372 Posts
this is a very interesting topic

i'll have to remind myself these tips 7 years down the road

we don't need smog test for brand new cards, only when the car is order than 7 year

Actually I wondered the same thing although the test is mandatory over here for cars over 3 years (not 7) but assumed where the OP is its needed for new car registration as indicated by his post .

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,365 Posts
New cars in the state of Ca is 5 year from date of purchase or change of ownership. If you can't get it to smog it needs to go back to dealer. Federal regs dictate the dealer is resposible if there is a smog related issue within a certain date/mileage. Is this a second owner vehicle? Is it a transfer from out of state? If no then why would you be smogging it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts