Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Pennsylvania. Would like to find a 2012 or 2013 Rio Hatch SX. Dealers don't seem to have them and can't locate them. Anyone else having this issue finding a Rio Hatch SX?

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
SX has been difficult to find ever since the 2012 model year first came out... maybe easier in USA than canada, but not by much.... where are you located?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pennsylvania. They offer it to build on the Kia website, but there are none around. I just don't understand.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
YES! It doesn't even give the option to select an SX. What's up with that? Just LX and EX.
I just checked it and it shows SX on the drop down list, as I don't live in the US so I used the zip code for our friends in St. Petersburg, Florida and it showed 2 available when I selected the 200 mile range but that was for a 2012 model, nothing for 2013's.

Must be high demand for that model, but all Rio's in particular ever since the new design. The sales for the first 7 months of this year in the US (26,042), is up over 30% vs the whole of 2011 (20,111). It's not much different here in Canada either with 2011 sales of 6,849 vs 7 months sales of 8,038.

From the time its built at the Korean factory till the time it gets to your dealers it can be 6-8 weeks on average. The factory for export has built 133,302 units to the end of July but this just does not go to US and Canada.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
268 Posts
go to the above kia search, and put in a larger radius. there is no drop down for larger then 200, just type it into the address bar directly. i found a bunch of sx's this way, the closest being one in CT, exatly what you want since it is a blue sx.

this is how i found my manual car, i ended up going over 300 miles away to get it. OP, if you are serious in your search, and can't figure this out, pm me, i will walk you through it.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,145 Posts
I have been looking in Michigan. There is nothing in MI, OH, IL, IN, KY, or WV. At least for the next two months. It kind of stinks.

·
Registered
Rio5 SX, White/Beige leather, UVO
17 Posts
I'm in Quebec and ordered my 2013 SX hatch in early June. They could no longer find my a '12 so I ordered a '13 model. They told me they should have it within a month.
Then mid July turned into mid August.
Then mid August has become mid September. I'm afraid to ask for an update at this point.
It's a shame because I fall on vacation in mid September and my plans depended on having a workable car! Here's hoping they surprise me and get her in early :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
when i got my 2012 SX i waited 1 month, then 2, then 4, then finally it came after 6 months of waiting. they just kept pushing it back, i wasn't sure if i would ever get it!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Hearing these stories - I feel pretty lucky (for once.. :rolleyes: ). I got my 2013 SX only a week after I committed to it as the 2012's were mostly sold out already - and that was over two months ago. I didn't even know how "in demand" the Rio5 (and especially the SX) was at the time... go figure.

The only consolidation for anyone still waiting is... doesn't it make you feel good to know that you're buying such a sought after car? :cool:

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Hi, interesting to read all your personal experiences. I waited 6 weeks my EX Sedan UVO. At that time, the salesman told me it would take 8 to 12 weeks for an EX sedan with UVO and between 10 and 15 for a Sedan SX. I didn't care cause I had traded in my old Neon would keep it until delivery and I had not gone for the SX. A few days ago, I talked to my salesman for info on the UVO and asked him what trim was a hit and the one that wasn't. He said 5 five doors and sedan EX auto were the biggest seller followed by 5 doors and sedan auto LX+, then Rio 5 SX, base LX and finally Sedan SX. But maybe it was a domestic survey. So there should be some SX around. Anyhow, with these long waiting, seems like Kia didn't build enough units of its revamped Rio.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Availability is a tricky thing. Manufacturers can easily get caught flat footed when one of their models catches fire. You gotta think, Kia didn't sell a lot of previous gen Rio's - so even though they were hoping to sell more of the new one, there is never any guarantee that an overhauled model will be a sales success. So Kia has to be conservative in their build quotas.

Besides, even if the indicators are there - for a company to instead try and anticipate huge increases by building more than they need - is a recipe for disaster (leftover stock is part of what got the domestic brands in trouble). There's way too much risk doing it that way. Instead, Kia will carefully watch current sales and slowly ramp up manufacturing accordingly.

And then factor in regional demand. It's normal for some parts of the country to have more than enough, while others have next to nothing. Although a certain amount of dealer trading can help alleviate inventory shortfalls, it's limited (especially as each dealer wants to keep fast selling cars for themselves). And regional demand will offset National overall sales results too, making it unlikely that Kia will manufacture more cars, just because they sell like hotcakes in Pennsylvania (or wherever).

In the end, securing a hot commodity like the Rio (configured exactly the way you wanted) is mostly about timing and luck.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX w Conv Pkg, Chestnut .......... 1997 Ford F-150
54 Posts
In the end, securing a hot commodity like the Rio (configured exactly the way you wanted) is mostly about timing and luck.
I monitored the 13 dealers in my state for months before I purchased my EX HB with conv. pkg back in April. They do pop up on the lots but don't last long. 3 vehicles of my preferred configuration (as well as 5 other configs) hit one location at the same time and one of my config went the first day. I scooped one up the next day. Luckily several colors were OK for me so it worked out.

I noticed there was no obvious rhyme or reason as to which dealership was allotted the Rios. All of a sudden one dealer would get a bunch of them, all different configurations. The larger volume dealers did not seem to get preference when it came to the Rio.

I recommend doing a personal web check nightly of the dealers in your area and be ready to jump on one that hits the lot. Not all dealers are willing to swap so these may be unavailable to the dealer you are working with.

I am merely suggesting you supplement your search with a nightly web check of the inventory of all the dealers in your area. Also, be ready to pounce on one quickly. Worked for me and I got a nice price because it was off the lot.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD
52 Posts
Still looking for SX hatch Auto with premium package

I have been waiting for the Rio SX automatic with premium package and they just are not available for some reason. I see tons of the new SX with manual but not with automatic and premium package. I punched in 12 different zip codes around the country on the kia website and only found 1 way up in washington state. ~3000 miles is a long way to go to get one.
Anyone have any news when/if the 2013 rio sx with premium package will be available soon :huh: ?

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD
52 Posts
I grew tired or waiting for the Rio SX Automatic with premium package (no patients according to wifee) :rolleyes:

I test drove the Elantra GT and a Rio LX and was originally torn between the two (but in SX version)...with the Rio being preferred due to the interior and smaller size. Then I made the mistake of test driving the chevy sonic LTZ hatch with turbo.;) Wow I could not beleive the difference in power and superior driving dynamics I was instantly sold on the sonic. Although I like the looks of the Rio SX a little better. The sonic drove much better. The Sonic LTZ was loaded (leather, heated seats , turbo engine, all the tech toys except back-up camera) with a MSRP of $21,550 including destination charge. I paid $20k after negotiations. The MSRP on a comparably equiped Kia rio is $21390 so they were almost identically priced. Since I spent 6 months waiting on the Rio SX auto with premium package, there is still a place for it in my heart.....just not in my driveway, that spot has been filled.

Good luck with your Rio's :)

Key1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts