Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage AWD EX w/ Premium................. 2012 Kia Rio SX w/ Premium
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get any fluid from the front or back wiper nozzles. The wipers will activate like normal but water will not spray. The reservoir is full of fluid. I do not hear the pump activate but can't remember if I was able to do so before. Should I hear the pump when I pull the wiper handle? Could there be any other issue I can fix myself? I am unable to get to the dealer until next week and my windshield is already covered in salt just driving to work this morning.

Thanks

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
Every car I've ever owned had a fairly loud (electric) motor to run the washers. You should definitely hear it running, especially if the car is stationary. Look for a blown fuse or bad connection. In the wet, you may not hear the motor with all the other noise and fury.

Just cleaned and aligned my washer jets. I prefer those mounted on the wipers; less alignment needed.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
If you are capable and have the time pull your washer pump out from your washer resivour and see if the filter is clogged by a green/teal substance.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
I can't get any fluid from the front or back wiper nozzles. The wipers will activate like normal but water will not spray. The reservoir is full of fluid. I do not hear the pump activate but can't remember if I was able to do so before. Should I hear the pump when I pull the wiper handle? Could there be any other issue I can fix myself? I am unable to get to the dealer until next week and my windshield is already covered in salt just driving to work this morning.

Thanks
This happened to me yesterday, I finally got to check it today, it was full but not working also :confused: I put a stick down thru the filler tube, and it was frozen solid :rolleyes: Some dummy filled it with cheap washer fluid that froze! I was able to get it going some by breaking the ice with the stick.
I don't know what else to do to defrost it, except wait for it to get above freezing :( Maybe if the level gets low enough I can add some alcohol?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts

Thanks
usually you can hear pumps running but will vary on the vehicle. Do you use windshield washer anti-freeze in the container? The upper hoses to where the fluid is ejected it more prone to freeze first. You could listen for the pump when the hood is open and get someone to active the lever. If frozen use a hair-dryer on the lines or make sure they feel flexible and nothing solid in the line. It could also be plugged nozzles, which can sometimes be cleared by a needle.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Temperature in Baltimore goes below 0c, but a freeze-blown pump would probably leak. If you hear nothing, I also vote for checking fuses, or a loose/shorted electrical connection.

MikDee, maybe borrow a garage overnight? Or try draining, and add warmed washer fluid (Winter rated). Winter washer fluid has varied alcohols in it (tastes awful, but it works).

·
Registered
967 Posts

Thanks
Improper fluid froze. Remove it, get the car somewhere warm where the lines can thaw, replace the fluid with the correct fluid and hope the pump isn't destroyed.

ETA: You might be able to defrost it by parking it in a sunny place. Warm up the engine and the fluid in the reservoir will melt. You still have to get the bad fluid out, at least most of it. You can siphon it out or use a big syringe like a turkey baster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts