Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife has a 2006 Sportage which as you all know has the radio antenna in the middle of the roof thusly.

And when it's folded down the tip of the antenna points to the front of car.

Can this Sportage be run through one of the motorized, track-driven car washes without harming the antenna?

Thanks

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Run mine trough many car washes all over the new england states and its still their.

Chief

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,129 Posts
lol this is one of the funniest questions ever, Can I wash my car in a car wash. I mean really.. Not be be an ass, but there is not a car that cant do a car wash. Some that you might not want to because of the cost of the car, but we are talking a sportage.

Its like any antenna, just a different style.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol this is one of the funniest questions ever, Can I wash my car in a car wash. I mean really.. Not be be an ass, but there is not a car that cant do a car wash. Some that you might not want to because of the cost of the car, but we are talking a sportage.
Its like any antenna, just a different style.
The question was specific to the antenna and commercial car washes, and if you have owned a variety of vehicles over the course of your life you know there are some antenna designs that don't play well with commercial car washes, especially the old-school types with the heavy horizontal top brushes.

Anyway, somebody answered the question and pointed out that it could possibly be an issue with these types of antennas (nicknamed the french tickler, apparently). And as such the owners manual addresses this issue specifically, with the instructions to remove said antenna before running the car through a commercial car wash. Thanks to the person who pointed this out.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Or move it like the pivot mech. is to be used when cleaning.
It was just obvious.
Honestly I never thought of it and have been through many of the "old school" automatic car washes. Never an issue.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The OE antenna can take some abuse. I got tired of 'unscrewing it' for the car wash. And, some will simply push it back up and give it a mild 'aerodynamic' curve ;-)

When I installed a 'real antenna' in order to receive stations beyond the capability of the joke from the factory, I had to ALWAYS remove it. When I didn't, it would break.

And yes, with a real antenna, my Sportage looked like a remote controlled toy car from RadioShack circa 1980's.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
My reception is great with the OE unit. I get the station I like 80miles away from where I live.

·
Registered
SPORTAGE 2007
1 Posts
Kia sportage damaged by repsol car wash spain

I Just lost a court case here in Spain Marbella...been taking my wifes KIA sportage to the same car wash since new in 2007. This one time the drier blower at the end of the cycle came crashing down on the roof I pressed the emergency stop and damage was limited to the rails that run along the roof. Open shut case in my favour no? No it wasn't. I Filled out all necessary forms at the service station and my insurance company took over the process. Repsol refused to pay the 500 EUROS in damages stating that I shouldn't have been in the car was wash in the first place... which is exactly what the judge said...so a warning to all I take it like me you are all aware that you should not use a car wash with a roof rack but are you must also all be aware that your KIA sportage has what is called support rails...where the roof rack is fitted to. well according to RESPOL and the judge in my case those support rails are also deemed a roof rack and hence you cannot take your KIA sportage into any car wash and if you do you must accept all responsibility if things go wrong!! I feel cheated at the injustice of it all but what can I do I lose 500 in damages to the vehicle and appeal is not worth it. So I ask all KIA owners to ask KIA and there local car wash what the rules are...most makes of cars theses days have support rails where the roof rack is fitted but until you put this roof rack on all you have is support rails right? the car wash owners either need to change the rules or the car companies need to advise all owners of cars with roof rails that there not safe to enter any mechanical car wash.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts