Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
08 Rondo, 2010 Camaro, 96 3000GT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any key maker (Walmart, hardware store, etc.) duplicate the 08 Rondo door and ignition key, or does it havr to be ordered through a dealer? I know the remote would be a dealer item, but how about just the key? Thanks. Bob

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
I doubt you will find a key blank at any of those places. A new key from a Kia dealer. is $20.00 they will cut it for free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the quick responses! I wasn't sure if these keys had some kind of chip hidden in the plastic part - and now I know that they don't. I went to my local Ace Hardware. The guy making the keys couldn't find Rondo listed in his book to identify the proper blank. (even asked me if I had the name right) He visually matched it up with something he had and carved me a key that works great in the ignition and the locks! Upon checkout my receipt said "Hyundai key HY14". Total cost with tax..... $1.81. Bob

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
+1 on Ace Hardware, they have the key blanks and the one I got made there works great!

·
Registered
2008 Rondo EX 5-seater: Aqua Silver
61 Posts
In Canada the ignition key contains a transponder needed to interact with the vehicle immobilizer system (anti-theft) so that you have to get a new key from the dealer. I believe an immobilizer system is compulsory on all new vehicles sold in Canada and has been since at least 2007, e.g. my Rondo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In Canada the ignition key contains a transponder needed to interact with the vehicle immobilizer system (anti-theft) so that you have to get a new key from the dealer.
Sorry to hear that, Canada. If they are anything like the system GM uses, just another thing to cause headaches in the future. Had a 98 Buick and a 04 Impala that gave me fits with the "security light" coming on and the vehicle's refusing to start. There were whole websites dedicated to dealing with these problems - especially on the Impala. A lot of angry people. Bob

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
In Canada, if you can find someone to cut a regular key you can use it to open the door but just can't start the vehicle with it. It's been used on KIA's in Canada for many years (it was on my 2008 Rondo), never heard of any problems with the system. There is no indicator light, it just has to recognize that its the right key in the ignition before it allows you to start, if it isn't or you try to tamper with it, it won't start.

It would store in your wallet easily and you could leave the immobilizer key hidden somewhere in the car if its a problem carrying it around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts